Monday 9 February 2009

Fresh Princess of Bel Food, No More

Yesterday was my last day at Safeway. It was kinda funny because as I went to give them my letter of resignation, they handed me a letter containing a badge signifying 5 years of service with Safeway, as well as a box of chocolates. I think if I had quit earlier, I wouldn't have made it to the 5 year mark.

I was talking to Olek about how I didn't mention to anyone that it was my last shift, mostly because I didn't want to make a fuss, but also because I don't really talk to anyone at work. There are a few people I talk to a lot, but they mostly tend to be the guys from grocery, or liquor. I guess I found it a bit hard to find something in common with the other front end people, though that was partly to do with the high turnover, I think. Pretty much any time I got to know someone, they'd leave Safeway. The only person from front end I really talked to was Georgie, who I used to gossip with when she had a midnight closing shift. It was really fun talking with her and our manager Steve.

Although I wanted to keep my work and personal life separate, I think not talking to anyone about personal stuff wasn't such a good idea. They didn't even know about MrMan5.5, which kinda turned out bad when someone from work asked me out, and I told him about MrMan5.5, but I  got the feeling that maybe he thought I was lying just so I wouldn't have to say no. =( So with this job, I'm going to try harder to talk to people. Plus, with 6 weeks of training, it's going to be really boring if I don't have any friends, and all of the people who currently work there say that their job is pretty much their life, and the only friends they have are the people that they work with, which isn't too surprising given their working hours. I'm going to try hard to keep in contact with people, even though I probably won't have much time to do anything.

I'm really excited though, because I should be able to save up enough money to go to Italy - assuming I don't spend my first month's pay on a PS3, and then go and buy a TV, and games, and well... yeah, I can really see my savings disappearing pretty quickly.

No comments: