Wednesday 9 February 2011

Roll d20 For Friendship

I went to a CYN lunch with some of the Mergo people, and it dawned on me that a lot of the Mergo people have been friends since high school, and still regularly talk to each other. Sometimes my high school friends invite me to do things with them, but whenever I want to do something, my high school friends are rarely the first people who come to mind. I guess I've always felt like my uni friends are the friends I chose, and my high school friends were the people I got along with the most out of the 60-odd people in my year level (I realised there were more people in MrMan5.5's Year 12 class than my entire school). I think the only person I really see from high school is Sharon, and Kelly on the odd occasion that I do something with her and ArO.

Anyway, back to the Mergo people. I call them that, because I can't think of a better way to refer to them. In my head, I normally call them Paul's high school friends, since I kinda met him first, but they're my friends as well, so it's not like how I can call Graham's South Lawn friends the South Lawn people, because I guess I don't really think of them as my own friends. I think right now I feel like I want something like the Mergo people. I've never really had a group of friends that I thought of as my "crew", I've had phases where I've wanted to hang out with certain people, usually related to what I spend most of my time doing at any given point in time (e.g. When I was playing WoW a lot, I spent most of my time either talking to WoW people online, or going to WoW dinners (or playing WoW)).

So the answer came to me at the CYN lunch in the form of GMJoe. Strangely, it turns out that he was the first Mergo person I met, with the second being Sphericus, and I believe Paul is third, though I may have met others, just not remembered it. I don't know why, but during the lunch, I had a strange feeling that I had met GMJoe before, and so I asked him about it, and it turns out that he was the one who introduced me to the game Paranoia. (Funnily, when he was telling me about Paranoia the second time, I mentioned that someone had given me a brief explanation a few years back, not realising that person was him.) I believe that at the time, I expressed interest in joining his game, but then didn't see him for many years, and so I'm guessing that's a no.

After the lunch, GMJoe lamented that he is always the GM and never a player and asked if I was interested in running a game. After much thought, I decided that maybe this is the solution. I wanted a close-knit group of friends, and this might be one way to create one, plus, I feel a bit weird having been the president of II but never having run a game. I don't know what type of game I want to run, when I'll even have the time (probably the most important factor), or even where I'll run it (maybe after I move out). I'm half-tempted to mention it to GMJoe and then never invite him, but I'm not petty like that. Maybe...

No comments: