Sunday 30 August 2015

Food Mimic - Paella (or Yellow Rice with Stuff In It)

We didn't make it to Spain during our trip, but I did manage to find some paella at the Camden Market in London. I don't know if it matches up to the "real stuff" but it was pretty good. I thought it'd be something simple to make, and something we could take to work.

So here is the one that I tried to replicate:


Neither MrFodder nor I are huge fans of seafood, and I don't like eating mussels, so I opted for a non-seafood version, and chicken and chorizo seemed to be the way to go. However, in the comments of one of the recipes I looked at, someone said that putting chorizo in paella is a disgrace, and that at best, all you could really call it was "yellow rice with stuff in it", so in case he happens to find my blog post, too, I will add that I only managed to make yellow rice with stuff in it. Add to that the fact that I don't have a paella pan, so I'd be pretty hard pressed to call what I made paella.

Without further ado, here it is:


Sadly, fresh out of the pot, it looked very goopy, like risotto. However, I didn't eat it right away, as I had just gone to the KFC kitchen tour, and I was too full to eat a proper dinner, so I ate it the next day and it looked a lot more like the one in the photo, in terms of individual grains of rice. Sadly, it didn't taste quite like paella, and I think that's because of the lack of seafood. I guess it adds flavour to the overall dish, and while chorizo does have its own nice smell and flavour, it just wasn't the same. Well, that and the recipe I found substituted turmeric for the saffron, which I thought would help save money, but maybe that was another mistake. Oh, and I forgot to add the lemon at the end. T_T

The recipe itself wasn't difficult though, you can find it here.

It was a bit time consuming cutting up all the ingredients, but that was the toughest part, and after seeing how Gordon Ramsay cuts capsicums (YouTube video), not even that was tough.

Still, it was delicious, would definitely make it again.

No comments: