Wednesday 20 January 2016

Stronger Than Yesterday

When Kat suggested a WoW dinner at our usual haunt, I was not too enthusiastic. Don't get me wrong, I love hanging out with the old guildies, and it is nice to find out what's been going on, other than what shows up on my Facebook feed. But I have to admit, a part of me was scared of being followed to the carpark, like what happened at the last WoW dinner I went to.

I know I've brought it up a few times, but I've been really adamant that I would not allow myself to become victimised by it. I did not want to allow the actions of one to represent the actions of many, and it seems silly to be scared of every male in the world just because of one. So I try not to dwell on it too much.

So I decided to see if I could do it. Same restaurant, same car park. I organised a dinner. Funnily enough, the waiters at the restaurant still remembered us, and asked why we stopped going every Tuesday (answer: almost all of us have stopped playing WoW, but that's not what we said). It was good to see people that I hadn't seen in years, and be surrounded by people who just wanted to chat about games. After dinner, we had to wait around for someone who couldn't make it to the dinner, but wanted to catch up. And in a strange turn of events, ended up in the same cafe that I left last time to go to the car park.

As the night was winding up, I kept tossing up the idea of asking one of the other people to walk me to the car park. But I didn't want to. Well, for one thing, none of them know, and for the first time in my life, I didn't want to talk about it. I've known these people for years, and it's not like they're all guys, ET brought his wife - who also happens to be a doctor, so I'm sure she's used to handling stuff like this. I guess I just wanted to handle it myself. Kinda like finding out your solo matchmaking rating in Dota 2, compared to your party matchmaking rating. You can never be sure if your more skilled friends just helped you get a better ranking if you only look at party MMR. You have to solo queue to find out how good you are.

So as we said our goodbyes, part of me was actually hoping that someone else had parked in the same car park, because then I had an excuse for chickening out, but no such luck. I was on my own. However, despite the fact that the area is almost the same, it's also quite different. Areas that I remember being badly lit are now really well lit. Areas that were usually deserted after hours (well, maybe on a Tuesday night) were now filled with people. Only a short part of my walk ended up being alone, and there was not a single person following me.

I made it.

No comments: