Monday 3 November 2008

Chapter 1 - The Part Where They Meet

Stories are always difficult to write. The beginning has to be something that captures the reader's attention, otherwise they will never get to the middle nor the end. The middle has to be something that involves plot twists, character development, intrigue, story progression, all without making the entire thing the size of a World Book encyclopedia set. The end has to tie up all of the loose ends, while still maintaining a degree of plausibility, and without resorting to the cheap cop-out where the main character wakes up and realises it's all a dream. Luckily, when you write about a person's life, the story just writes itself, and all you have to do is add some dramatical embellishes to create a story.



It was a morning like any other for the local school bully. The day begins with taunting the neighbour's son, who couldn't see his fingernails without his glasses. Then it was off to school, where he had top choice for lunch from the various students who he had bullied into submission. It was great that they didn't even bother resisting anymore. Better yet, they all tried to bring his favourite meal to school because they knew whoever was the fortunate (or unfortunate, if you consider he'd have to go without lunch) boy to have their lunch selected would be free from torment for that day. Not that he needed food from others, it's just that over time he had learnt that food tastes better when someone else wants it more than you do, but can't have it. Then it was off to home, where he got to play with his father's latest acquisitions, which meant he got to brag about having all the new toys at school the next day. It's a tough life being a bully and the son of a renowned travel mage. Worse is when people simply don't understand the rules.

"That bread looks fancy, where is it from, new kid?" The bully glares with all of his might, thinking that the new kid at school needed to know how things worked around here.

"My dad is a baker, and he learnt this recipe from Halenish monks."

"Why haven't I seen this before?"

"They aren't very open to foreigners, but his mother was raised by a Halenish family, so he can speak their language, and the monks took him in after his parents were killed. He's opening a new bakery if you..."

"Boring. If I wanted to hear your life story, I'd have asked. Just hand it over." A row of boys eagerly holding out their lunches sigh and start making their way to any hiding spot that wasn't already taken.

"But it's mine", the new kid protests.

"Not anymore. You're new here, so I'll introduce you to the important people in this school." The bully pointed to himself, "Firstly, there's me. Anything I say goes. You don't listen to me, and things get very, very hard for you. Understand? My father knows all of the magi in the High Platform, and he won't hesitate to call in some favours if he knows someone is giving his son a hard time."

Realising the trouble such a man could cause, the new kid hands his bread roll over to the bully with a resigned sigh and walks over to the kitchen hut in the hopes that he can beg the cook into conjuring some lunch out of pity - something he had managed to perfect at his past three schools. Just outside the kitchen hut, he hears a voice.

[???]: Here, eat this.

A small plate of food appears on the table. The new kid looks around suspiciously. "Who said that?"

[???]: My name is Anna. What is yours?

"I'm Harold. Why did you make food for me?!"

[Anna]: Shhhh, you'll draw attention to yourself if you keep talking that loudly. Try talking like this.

[Harold]: Like this?

[Anna]: Yes, this way only I can hear.

[Harold]: What's going on?

[Anna]: I'm a Writer, and I've decided that you're going to be my Main Character.

[Harold]: Writer? Main Character? Are you going to write a book about me or something? Trust me, my life is too boring to want to live, much less than read about.

[Anna]: On the contrary, it's the ones who lead boring lives that make the most entertaining characters, all you need is to be in the right place at the right time. Hmmm, and we're also going to have to change your name. Harolds don't save the world, Harolds own local general stores and spend their lives selling ingredients to magi who will go on to make a name for themselves.

[Harold]: You can't just change my name! Everyone I know calls me Harold, and it's too much effort to go and tell them my new name, because they'd just keep forgetting and go back to calling me Harold. Far too much trouble to be worth it. Plus, I'm sure there are plenty of Harolds who could be out there saving the world, if it weren't for people like you putting us down all the time!

[Anna]: OK.

[Harold]: Good, now that that's settled...

[Anna]: You're a Brent.

[Brent]: Weren't you listening to what I said?! It's far to much effort to change my name, just live with it.

[Anna]: It'll take a bit of getting used to, but after a while, answering to Brent will become second nature.

[Brent]: Wait, what? Why does it say Brent next to what I'm saying?

[Anna]: Because that's your name, just like it says "Anna" next to what I'm saying.

[Brent]: Whoa, I'm reading what I'm saying. I mean, the words that are coming out of my mouth are there in text. This is starting to get a little strange.

[Anna]: I told you, I'm a Writer. It's my job to write stuff like this down, that way other people can read about it at a later time.

[Brent]: But this is happening right now!

[Anna]: So?

[Brent]: You're meant to do stuff, and then when you're old, sit down and write a memoir about it and sell it to pay for your retirement because you didn't have the foresight to save money while you were still able to work for minimum wage!

[Anna]: Geez, if everyone did it that way, then stories would be full of inconsistencies with all the important bits left out. Do you know how bad old people are at remembering things? I'm only 22 and I have trouble remembering what I ate for breakfast sometimes. Anyway, back on topic. I'm a Writer, and I have chosen you to go on an Adventure.

[Brent]: An Adventure? Really, I think you've made a big mistake. I don't go on Adventures, I sit at home and hope the night will never end because I really don't like the thought of waking up the next morning.

[Anna]: Well, that's not very positive.

[Brent]: I'm not the type of person who goes on Adventures.

[Anna]: Sure you are, I wouldn't have picked you otherwise. For your first heroic act, you're going to have to register as a Main Character.


A large scroll appears on the table.

[Anna]: Details are in there.


[Brent]: What if I don't want to do this?


Brent opens up the scroll to find thousands of lines of tiny print. "Terms and conditions? What is this stuff?"

[Brent]: Hello? Anna? Are you there?


"Fine, don't answer." He picks up the scroll, walks back into the school and tosses it into the first fireplace he sees.


Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
1,264 / 50,000
(2.5%)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, nice start! You quickly got my head filled with the characters' image. I want to know what happens next. Keep writing!

Auto said...

[Auto]: I've never seen anyone write like this, and clearly it's awesome otherwise why would I bother doing the same thing. Sounds good so far and can't wait for the next part.