Friday 28 November 2008

Chapter 3 - The Part Where We Might Not Make It

Well, needless to say, this year's NaNo was a complete failure for me. I guess I got a bit of a taste of what it's like to be a real writer, when you try to sit down and write, anything and everything becomes so tempting (even sitting on BA at 9AM trying to join a game of DotA). Anyway, this is going to be the last chapter of the story, and I'm going to leave it unfinished as a sign of my failure (and motivation for next year). I've kinda lost all motivation to write for this story.

Thanks to MrMan5.5, Dante and Auto for constantly poking me into writing, Dante even went so far as to change my MSN message to "Tell me to start writing. Do it. Do it now!" in order to get others to do the same (and thank you to everyone who poked me as a result of that). Also, thanks to everyone who has read this far!

Tomorrow, we shall resume the normal blogging programme!




[Brent]: So what's with Main Character Training anyway?
[Anna]: Well, every year, hundreds of Writers get the chance to create a Story, but the Story has one limitation, it has to direct the Main Character to a goal chosen by the Council of Writers. I don't know why really, history was never my favourite subject. Obviously, in most cases, reaching that goal requires physical and mental strength, so Writers usually try to choose Main Characters who are skilled at both.

Unfortunately, about twenty years ago, a large group of Writers rebelled against the Council and decided they were going to choose Main Characters who were weak, stupid, or had some sort of major disability that would make getting the goal nearly impossible. They did it because they thought it would be a challenge, and because they weren't interested in reaching the goal, they were interested in watching those poor people struggle. The Stories of that year had the highest number of Main Character deaths ever. After the events of that year, the Council, of which my father was a member of at the time, made a ruling that Main Characters must undergo a series of tests, and receive training in order to ensure that something like that never happens again. Fast forward to now, and this is what it has become. Unfortunately, it has made the stories a lot less interesting, because there is no sense of danger, no thrill, almost everyone makes it at the end of each year, and the people that don't fail only because the Writer wasn't able to incite enough motivation in them to continue.

I should probably tell you now, that you're free to leave any time you want to. I don't want to force you into doing this, but it would mean a lot to me if you stayed until the end. To be honest, this is my first story. I'm sorry you ended up being a Main Character with such an amateur Writer, but everyone has to start somewhere, right?

[Brent]: Really, there is nothing for me back there. It would just be a life of moving around until I got old enough to move out on my own. There is a whole world of things out there, and I've barely seen any of it. Now I have the chance to. One thing I was wondering though, won't my family notice that I'm gone?

[Anna]: This story takes place in a different world. You will still be you, and will still be able to do all the things that you do, but the world that you will find yourself in may be completely different to what you know now. While this story is happening, it'll be as though time in your world has stopped, and after it's all over, you'll be back here, as though nothing had happened.

[Brent]: So it's all for nothing?

[Anna]: Not at all. Everything you learn, you keep, and I know how you love to learn things.

[Brent]: What if there is no magic in this world?

[Anna]: Even if there are no mages in the world, you will still have all of your magical abilities. It's unlikely that the council will create a magicless world though, as magi usually make it easier for Main Characters in terms of folk lore, weather reading and general domestic spells like fire lighting and water cleansing.

[Brent]: I can do all of those things, so how does having a mage around help me?

[Anna]: Let's just see how we go. Anyway, if you wait here for a bit, someone should come and pick you up in about an hour. Is there anything you want to do before you go? You might not be seeing this place for a while.

[Brent]: I'm fine.
An hour later, Brent notics a silhouette appear down the road. As it gets closer, the figure begins to resemble a man who had just escaped a maximum security prison, and the expression on his face did nothing to dispel the thought. After tearing his gaze from the scar running from the man's chin to his ear, Brent notices the shopping trolley that he's pushing.

"Get in," the man says, gruffly. Unsure of what to do, Brent hesitates. Years of being told not to talk to strangers starts to take hold of his body, and thoughts of being taken into a dark basement and tortured flash through his mind. "Get in," he repeats. Brent steps into the shopping trolley, confused at why his body suddenly refuses to obey him. Before he can think of something to say, the man starts to push the shopping trolley at breakneck speed. After a few minutes, they turn into an alley and the man finally stops.

"Get in," the man says, but this time, he is pointing towards the sky. On closer inspection, Brent realizes that he's pointing to a large bird carrying a small bucket strung on a rope between its talons. Despite its size, the bird manages to land without disturbing its surroundings, and it leans in towards Brent, as though sizing him up. Seemingly satisfied that Brent is the one it was searching for, the bird points to the bucket, which was now lying on the floor, rolling back and forth.

"What?! I can't sit in that, I'll fall and die!" Brent protests, only to find that the man disappeared while he was distracted by the bird. After a quick examination of the bucket, Brent concludes that it was hardly ideal to sit inside, even though he wasn't the tallest of people. "There is no way I'm sitting in that." The bird simply looks at him, blankly.

[Brent]: Anna! Do something. Make me a seat or something.

No comments: