Friday 7 October 2011

Stim Pack

Obviously, there is physical arousal (either of the sexual nature, "He/She is so hot I want to have sex now", or the adrenaline nature, "That tiger is going to eat me, I'd better run as fast as I can"), but what about intellectual arousal? Something that makes you want to think things, argue, debate, hypothesize.

The mentor I have at work that I mentioned earlier, I was thinking about the nature of our relationship, and though I consider him a mentor, he doesn't seem to give me all that much advice. I don't really know what mentors are meant to do, yet I somehow went from zero to three mentors in the space of about a year. I always thought they were meant to be sagely, and give advice (somewhat like those elderly people in old-school RPGs who you have to talk to in order to work out the next part of the quest). Though he does give me some advice, I feel that he is more of a person I can bounce ideas off, and discuss things with.

Every time we have a chat, I always walk away agitated, but in a good way. I suddenly want to do all those projects that have been put aside. I want to argue with everybody about everything and anything. So many hypothetical situations and money making schemes always start chugging away at the back of my mind. Is this what intellectual arousal is? Is this what it is like to have a muse?

Unfortunately, as I only ever see him at work, the effect usually wears off pretty quickly, as I have work to do (hooray!) and I'm not being paid to debate hypotheticals with people. I find that by the time I get home, all that energy has been sapped away, and the feeling is gone again.

When I tried to go to sleep tonight, I found myself lying in bed for a while. My train of thought eventually led me to think about my mentor, and I found that I was having an imaginary conversation with him in my head. I also found that I had an itch to do something, and I didn't really want to sleep anymore (which is why I'm awake now, even though I have to get up to go to work tomorrow). In the same way that you can picture an attractive person naked in your mind and it causes sexual arousal, I wonder if having these imaginary conversations is enough to provoke intellectual arousal.

It seems like a pretty dangerous thing though. I tried playing a game of HoN just then, even though I'm feeling so tired, and it felt a bit like watching the game with a strobe light. I'm farming peacefully, oh, now we're in a team fight, oh, I'm at the fountain now, oh, we're pushing a tower. Julian, Char and Twins carried the team though, so we won. :D

I thought about inviting him to something after work so that I could keep the buzz, but it feels weird. He invited me to something once, but it was a developer thing, so it was a bit work-related. Other than Tong's meet ups, I don't really have any developer things I could invite him to. Maybe I should frame a picture of him and put it on my desk. Though how would I explain that to MrMan5.5...?

No comments: