Wednesday 5 October 2011

Virtual Memory

There was a deal on Scoopon for a discounted photobook, where you send in a digital photobook, and they print and bind it into a hardcover book. I decided I wanted to get one for myself, but I don't really take the kind of photos that you would want to put in a coffee table photo book, so I figured it'd be a waste of money. Then I had the idea of putting in HoN screenshots, from memorable games. MrMan5.5 told me it was a waste of money, but I disagree.

Are memories from game events any less "valid" than memories of events from real life? I have quite a lot of fond memories from gaming. There was a UBRS run I went on with some guildmates, and one of the warlocks, Philip, wanted to play a joke on the party. He got us to summon him on the bridge, then he jumped off the bridge, hoping to shock everyone, then accept the summon and reappear on the bridge. Only he lagged a bit, and so he hit the ground and died before accepting the summon.

There was the naked boarhunting session with Meshu and Stringbeans, where the three of us (two mages and a priest) ran around Durotar killing level 8 boars with unarmed melee attacks, which took a loooooooong time as it was back before the removed the unarmed weapon skill.

There was the time Isoraji and I jumped down from the World Tree and I ran out of feathers on the way down, so I coudn't levitate myself anymore and died. It was a painful and expensive trip - I realised I should have just hearthstoned right away, but Iso convinced me to make it to the bottom, I thought the only way out was to keep corpse running and jumping further down the tree until I hit the ground. (Iso was a hunter, so I don't know how he expected to survive the fall, not to mention the fact that he used to play Alliance, so he must have known it was quite a long drop).

OK, so a lot of these are WoW memories rather than HoN memories, but there have been some pretty good moments in HoN as well. And most of the other multiplayer games I've played.

I just wonder if I go so far as to make a photobook someone is going to accuse me of being unable to tell fantasy from reality. I don't understand why people can recount the details of a tense sports game and it's fine, but if you start talking about a game in the same way, you have an addiction/need to get a life.

I've been addicted to a game, and there have been times where I think I've been pretty close to becoming addicted to other games, but I think I'm still able to tell fantasy from reality. So for that reason, I am making my own gaming memories coffee table photo book.

No comments: