Sunday 16 December 2012

Discovery, Part 2

Since I've been doing so much reflection lately, I have finally cracked the bubble of Person's charm. I see now that he's pretty much the dick that so many people have told me that he is and I honestly don't know why I didn't see it before. Possibly more Luke Skywalker Syndrome which I still seem to suffer from.

His decision process seems to be:
That's fine for whatever he wants to do on a Friday night, but when it comes to doing the tasks that he is assigned it's, to quote GP, "Balls." He never takes the blame for anything, and has a CYA (Cover-Your-Ass) attitude towards most things. To make someone from his team happy, he changed our alcohol provider to their family friend, despite the fact that they are way more expensive. When we told him that we couldn't afford to go with that person for our BBQ, he refused to call them himself and let them know, so someone else had to do it. I bet he's telling alcohol guy that she's a stupid controlling bitch and that he did everything he could to change her mind, but she wouldn't listen. This is despite the fact that Person and the BBQ organiser are good friends. So from the alcohol guy's point of view, Person is the good guy. From the BBQ organiser's  point of view, it's a bit annoying having to call them to let them know, but she'll forgive him soon. So he remains the good guy. I finally see him for the manipulative bastard that he is.

Don't worry, this isn't going to turn into another post about how I'm the victim and everyone treats me so badly. I think this is the rise of a more ruthless Anna though. Rather than do favours for others in the hopes that they will do favours for me in return, I am going to try to move to a more tit-for-tat model. They asked if I am going to join the social committee next year, and I told them no. I took the coward's way out and said it's because my team doesn't approve (which is true, but not the reason I'm saying no). A part of me feels bad, because after the chair and vice-chair left (due to moving to another company), I think I took on most of the work. I don't want to see the committee fall apart, but out of the remaining members, I honestly have no idea who would make a good replacement chair.

On a side note, there were a few people who told me that I should be the chair next year, and I asked them why they didn't want to be chair and they said because they CBF doing that much work - they'd prefer to pick one easy task and coast by on that for the whole year. Gah, that annoyed me so much.

Another side note, there was one task I wanted. Only one. I wanted to order the pizzas for our end of month events because that way I could ensure that there would be a pizza without cheese that I could eat. However, the chair kept taking it away from me even though I kept trying so hard to do it, because she felt I was doing too much work. I know she meant well, but it was really soul crushing as it was the only thing I looked forward to as I made a bit of a game out of it - trying to remember as many people's favourite pizzas as I could, and making sure that the pizza they liked was in close proximity to where they were.

I'm trying not to rant, I really am! I think a product of the 7-ish years where I worked in a customer service role has embedded me with this desire to drop everything and help someone out as best as I can, and it feels nice when they thank me and remember me. One of the partly nice things that has come out of being in the social committee is that there are now people who know me who I don't even know. When I first started, there was probably a 1% chance that I'd bump into someone I knew in the lift. I'd say it's probably at around 70% now.

No comments: