Thursday 2 April 2015

Are You There God? It's Me, Fodder

In a long term relationship, you're meant to talk about the big ticket items, like political beliefs, whether you want children and religion. I guess I come off as an athiest or agnostic, but I can't say that it's true. When I was young, I had an experience that me wonder if there really is a God.

There was a game on the Sega Mega Drive based on The Lion King and despite the game being marketed towards children, it was one of the hardest games I've ever played. It had a level that based on the stampede that happens in the movie.  You need to dodge wildebeests and rocks which come towards you at a fast pace. It was also a game that had lives and continues, so you only had a limited number of attempts at each level before you had to start all over again from the first level.

The stampede level isn't even that far into the game, it's the fourth level, I think. We had spent so long replaying the first few levels because we couldn't get past the stampede level. I just wanted to see the rest of the game! So when nobody was looking, I said a prayer. "Dear God, please let us pass this level, and I will believe in you." It didn't happen right away, but a few attempts later, my brother managed to beat the level.

I've kept up my side of the bargain... mostly. It hasn't turned me into a devout believer, but I like to keep my mind open to the possibility.

Short one today, but that's my story of my religious experience.

No comments: