Friday 3 April 2015

People I am Grateful For - Z

If you're reading this, then it means that I am now married! That means MrMan5.5 has been promoted to MrFodder.

I think some of this post will be stolen and converted into my wedding speech.

So some of you might not know how MrFodder and I first met.

There was a duck farm that had just opened about an hour away from the city. The duck farm had an interesting promise - that you'd be able to find your lifelong partner at the farm. Sharon and Graham wanted to go, and I thought why not? At worst, maybe we could eat some delicious duck.

So off we drive to the duck farm, and when we got there there was a sign:

<----------- DUCKS FOR EATING
FIND YOUR TRUE LOVE ------>

We figured we could pick up a duck or two on the way out, but that we'd check out this true love thing since it seemed so silly. So we got into the line, paid $20 asked to go inside. The person at the counter said, "You'll find your true love at the last paddock, just make sure not to step on any ducks!"

Weird request, but OK. We walked through the gate into the first paddock and holy crap, so many ducks. There were ducks walking around everywhere. We carefully sidestepped past the ducks as we made our way towards the next paddock. We walked through the gate and there were even more ducks in the second paddock. It was a lot tougher this time, but we gave it our first shot. Unfortunately, Sharon tripped and ended up stepping on a duck on her way down. There was a loud noise - BEEEEP! Then two men come out dragging an ugly man with them. Possibly the ugliest man I've ever seen. They bring him up to Sharon and chain him up to her. "Congratulations, this is your true love." Sharon gives us a look saying, "Are you serious?" but before she can protest, the drag her out with her new partner. Graham and I try to follow, but the men stop us and say we must continue.

Left alone again in the paddock, Graham and I figure we might as well keep going. So we make it through the next gate, and in this paddock, there are even more ducks. It getting pretty difficult to avoid them, but with small shuffling steps, we make our way across. One of the ducks makes a loud quacking sound, and this startles Graham, who accidentally steps backwards onto a duck. BEEEEEEEEP! The two men come out again, this time dragging a man, uglier than the last one. "Congratulations, this is your true love." Graham slumps his shoulders and follows them, resigned to his fate.

Not wanting the same fate, I carefully make my way to the end of the paddock, and through two more until I find myself in an empty paddock. Two men come to greet me, saying that they will lead me to my true love. BEEEEEEEEP! The lead me out into one of the paddocks, though they tell me not to worry about the ducks, as I had already made it to the end. They led me towards this handsome man, the best looking man that I had ever seen. I was so happy. They chain me up to him and say, "Congratulations, this is your true love." The lead us out of the paddock into a restaurant and say that we should get to know each other over a nice duck meal. I introduce myself, and he responds that his name is MrFodder.

I get to know him, he's smart, he's funny, I'm having the time of my life. Then the waiter comes out with our meal, it's a roast duck. He says, "Congratulations to the both of you, here is the duck he stepped on."

----------------------------------

Jokes aside, there was a day, not long after we first got together, where we had spent the entire day in bed. Eventually, we got hungry and had our first argument - who was going to cook lunch? We weren't even talking a fancy lunch, just the instant Indomie mi goreng noodles. MrFodder's big argument was that I should do it because I'm the best at it. I don't know how you can be the best at boiling water and cooking noodles in a pot, but OK, I accepted that maybe he was a fail whale and I was better at cooking instant noodles than him.

During our relationship, I discovered that I was also the best at turning the lights off before bed, at going to the supermarket to buy snacks, baking cookies, it seemed that if there was anything MrFodder didn't want to do, I was the best at it!

We've been through a lot together. Supported each other in our final years of uni, and finding our first jobs. For a long time I was convinced that I'd never get a job. So many job applications and so many rejections. MrMan5.5 was always really supportive, and helped to keep my spirits up.

MrFodder is the kind of person who would stop his car to clear away a beer bottle in the middle of the road. At the same time, he's the kind of person who, if you say, "I'm hungry", will reply, "Nice to meet you Hungry, I'm MrFodder." Despite his horrible dad jokes, being with MrFodder makes me want to be a better person. I've a very picky eater, and I always order the same thing at restaurants, but he has made me eat more foods. It is because of him that I was brave enough to try what is now one of my favourite foods - taiyaki (a japanese pancake type thing with red bean paste inside). Speaking of Japan, on one of our trips, I wanted to go to the pokemon centre. It's only with MrFodder that I could set out looking for a toy shop and end up in the red-light district of Nagoya. But this story has a happy ending....we found the pokemon centre.

It was his idea to join a gym. We were both horribly unfit, and I still had the crazed notion that playing the Nintendo Wii was a good workout. I would often miss trains by a few seconds because I was too unfit to run 100m to the platform when I could hear the train coming. Now I am fit enough to run to the train station all the way from our house, and I can also do four push-ups!

There are many reasons that I decided to marry MrFodder. He makes me laugh, he is a good cook, he thinks that Tidehunter is a carry in Dota 2. But the main reason that I decided I want to spend the rest of my life with him is because he brings out the best in me.

No comments: