Wednesday 28 February 2018

Bottled Up for a Week - the Messages



My last two posts on this topic can be found here:
Bottled Up for a Week - Intro and Sending
Bottled Up for a Week - Receiving

So you can live through what I lived there, below is a list of all the messages I recorded, as well as my comments on why I accepted or rejected them. As I knew I'd be uninstalling the app, on the last day (days are separated by black lines), I recorded whether I would have accepted or rejected them, but rejected them all so someone else could get them.

I mentioned in my last post what worked, and here's a small summary of what didn't work (for me, personally):

  • short, "nothing" messages, like, "Hi", or just emojis, without something captivating in their bio
  • quotes / song lyrics, without any explanation for why they chose to put that in their message
  • messages that sounded desperate / overly clingy, e.g.
    • Friends means life .........can u be my life :) :)
    • I love you so much (heart emoji)
    • Hey I would love to yours till you disown me ! and Then !!! I would still be yours till I disown myself ! And then !!! I am yours forever
  • messages telling me that I'm beautiful / amazing, which they can't possibly know, because we haven't met yet
The above picture is a word cloud of all the messages I received.

Below is a word cloud of all of my responses.


I couldn't find a nice way to format all the messages, so I'll just link to a Google sheets spreadsheet instead:


Just as a reminder, before you criticise my decisions and say you would have accepted people I rejected, this is my own personal preference for the kind of people I enjoy talking to.

No comments: