Tuesday 29 July 2008

(-7P)Cheesed On

A couple of weeks ago, MrMan5.5 and I were in the supermarket looking for something to make for dinner, and we managed to find some soy cheese (Mini-Chol, I think it's called)- something which I had tried in the past and didn't like because it tasted terrible. We decided to make nachos though, so he suggested we get some anyway, and it wasn't bad. It was even OK to eat on its own, without the salsa and corn chips. I bought more to leave at my house, and tried eating some because I was hungry, but it seems like it's not something you can eat a lot of at once.

Since this isn't something I've had to do very often, what is it that people do with cheese? It's so strange, as before, cheese was everywhere, and there were so many things I couldn't eat just because it came with cheese, but I was looking around in our kitchen for something to eat with cheese, and I couldn't think of anything. =/ We didn't even have an salsa or corn chips, and a game of DotA was about to start, so I didn't have time to go and buy some. T_T

Sorry for the lack of blogs lately, but I figured I had done enough emo blogging for a few months at least, and decided not to blog rather than write more emo blogs. Anyway, if you could leave some suggestions of things to do with cheese using things you're likely to find in an supermarket, it would be greatly appreciated, because this cheese is yummy and I want to eat more of it. :D

Oh, wow, I just looked up mini-chol in Google, and found out it's not as non-dairy as it says it is. Apparently the amount of dairy in it is low enough that they're allowed to declare it "non-dairy", but it isn't necessarily non-dairy, and it's definitely not vegan. I wonder if that's also the case with the pastry that I bought. =/ Either way, I definitely shouldn't be eating that cheese any more, I'm glad my allergic reaction isn't that bad. T_T That really sucks. Although, I've been reading a couple of vegan forums, and the first said there's some cheese called "fasting cheese" that you can get from the Vic Market, so I'm going to look for that next time I'm there.

I wonder if I'm just a vegan who eats meat... I should spend more time looking into vegan stuff.

2 comments:

Lex said...

Cheese is usually used as a condiment to go with other things. That's probably the reason why so many things you come across come with cheese, but you can't think of anything in particular. A toasted sandwich with cheese in it, so the cheese goes all melty is awesome. Also you should be able to eat that cheese. If something is non-dairy it means that it contains so little dairy that anyone who's allergic to it won't get a reaction - which is different to dairy free.

Anonymous said...

What do to with cheese depends on what sort of cheese you have.

As Lex said, ordinary cheddar is great for toasted sandwiches.

Brie, Camembert, and blue cheese are great with crackers coupled with olives or salami or something like that. They also work well with slices of crusty french bread.

Fetta is good in salads.

Haloumi is really great when fried in a saucepan with a little bit of olive oil. It's kind of salty and when you fry it turns rubbery... It sounds weird but it's really awesome. I had a great pizza once which was pumpkin, walnut, haloumi cheese and something else.

I've never really tried any non-dairy cheeses, so I don't really know what to do with them. Cheese is pretty much the only dairy I eat (apart from milk in coffee), and the main reason I don't go vegan (along with fish) :P