Thursday 7 August 2008

I Don't Want Fries With That

Sitting in my I&T seminar today, I realised after four and a half years of university that I'm not cut out to be an arts student. The seminar was a bit like a tutorial-lecture, where the lecturer stood at the front, talked about stuff, and asked us questions, then kept talking. Luckily there were computers. Unluckily, they had those Mac Wireless keyboards that our university seems to love, and that I seem to have a penchant for making them stop responding. So 5 minutes into the tute, I realised that the keyboard wasn't working and the computer didn't have Freecell on it (nor an on-screen keyboard). I was screwed...

It wasn't the discussion that was so bad, the topic was interesting (what is intimacy, how can you be intimate with someone, what is it that you share with someone that makes your relationship intimate?, etc), it was more the people in the discussion. I apologise in advance for playing to stereotypes, but these people were so much like their stereotypes that I can't help myself

OK, so the first contestant was your typical fat girl who has nothing better to do than actually read the reading material. That would be me, only I get distracted too easily by Freecell. Anyway, having read the reading material assigned for the class, she believed this made her the leading authority on everything that happened in the class. It just seemed like she had an opinion on anything anybody said, regardless of whether it made sense or not, and she had to make sure everyone knew her opinion.

On to contestant number 2. The over-enthusiastic pot head. Well, I don't know if pot head is the right term, because I think they're supposed to be stoned all the time, and I don't know how stoned people can be over-enthusiastic, but he must have been on something. He nodded to what the other people were saying, offered his life-story, and was in general really caring and nurturing to other people - so much so that I wanted to slap him in the face, and he was sitting next to me, which made it worse.

Stereotype number 3 was the "I'm so in love with my boyfriend, I want everyone else to know about him and will talk about him at every opportunity" girl. Not that I'm jealous or anything, since I have the wonderful MrMan5.5 who gives me colds and bags of dog poop, but it just seemed over the top. So many of her examples were just long and boring stories about her current boy.

Needless to say, I was bored about 15 minuets into this seminar. The entire time I was reminded of that Facebook group "Put your hand down in lecture and shut up. Nobody cares." I wanted to get into Informatics 1 (first year "programming" subject), but I couldn't because I'm doing a double degree. =( I was supposed to look for another subject to do, but got distracted by other stuff today. I fail. I don't know if I can stand a semester of I&T and proper arts students.

As the keyboard was broken during the seminar, I spent most of it making a comic using pictures I found with Google by copy+pasting letters I could find on the page into the Google search box. I need to do a new subject! T_T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HA best comic ever... but then again I love cats :P

Surely if you were sitting next to the pot head you'd have been able the pot? Maybe he had just had too many lollies and was feeling in a happy mood?