Wednesday 3 December 2008

Going to the Movies

See, I wanted to look kind and sweet, so I picked a movie I thought she would like.

She wanted to look kind and sweet, so she didn't argue with my choice.

Thus, we ended up seeing a movie that neither of us actually wanted to see.

To this day, even mentioning the movie makes me want to punch myself. I'll be on my deathbed thinking only about those two squandered hours.
-[GM]Dave, Theme Week - [GM]Susan Vol. 4


I read a column in mX the other day, where the writer was talking about how she saw a couple go into a cinema, buy tickets, and then go off and see separate movies. It does make sense, why would you force each other to sit through a movie one of you is bound to fall asleep in? It's not like going to the movies is the only thing a couple can do together, and so if neither of you is interested in seeing a particular movie, why go?

Of course, there is the whole compromise factor - you are doing something for the person that you care about. It's only two hours of your life, and you get to spend it with someone important. Plus, the movie might not be as bad as you think it is. Although I guess for things like first dates, what Cpt_Threepwood said is probably a good reason to do what girls want. =/

[15:04] <Cpt_Threepwood> strip poker is like life
[15:04] <Cpt_Threepwood> it's all about guys doing what girls want in the vague hope they'll get what THEY want

While I'm not going to use movies as some sort of bargaining chip, I like my movies, and enjoy sharing the movies I find interesting with people. So I'm really glad that MrMan5.5 have similar taste in movies (despite what the Facebook thing says). I guess I lucked out this time, because I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel going to see a movie with him, only to have him see a different movie because he didn't like the one I picked. I know it's selfish, but to me it's like a sign that he's listening to what I'm saying, and not just nodding blindly in the hopes that I'll stop talking at some point. If he really was against it, I'd go and see it with someone else or by myself, but I think what I'd like is if he read the plot synopsis or something at least.

Not that this has happened, since we've both enjoyed all of the movies we went to see together, but when he first came over to my house, he noticed that I had first 4 seasons of Monk - the TV show about the obsessive compulsive detective, and he mentioned that he hated it, because it was too over the top about his OCD, which I agree with, but I still there there are some awesome episodes. We started watching it recently, because there was a character that I wanted to show him, and he seems to really be getting into it - most of the time, he manages to solve the case before the answer is explained by Monk. For all I know, he might just be doing it to humour me, but I really enjoy watching Monk with him, and it makes me happy that he's willing to watch it with me.

First blog-blog post in a while, feels good to be able to stretch my brain a bit now that exams are over. ^_^ Anyway, as usual, I'm wondering if anybody has any thoughts about what I just said.

3 comments:

Lex said...

I think in this case, it's actually more like tastes change. I had seen a few eps of Monk before we started watching it together and I really didn't like it that much, and thought it was bad about how over the top the OCD was. When we started watching it together, I started finding it enjoyable. It's also possible that I was too caught up on the whole OCD thing to notice all the good elements of the show.

A friend of mine went to see a movie with his girl friend once, something that she picked out, and he hated that movie. From that point on he refused to go to the movies with her. Although that may sound a bit strange, it became one of those activities that they did on their own, to do something not with their partner. The other thing though was the guy generally didn't like seeing movies with others anyway, his argument: "Why go to a movie with people if all you're going to do is sit and watch a screen, and not even be able to talk to each other."

To some extent, what Cpt_Threepwood said is true, but it's very cynical. That sort of statement more falls under the 'nice guy' thing (there's a link to go with this but I can't find it at the moment), but I think it also comes from a bit of a social expectation that a guy is supposed to 'take care of a girl' and 'treat her right'. I know plenty of people who just do whatever they feel like, first dates or not, and still get what they want. It actually seems to be quite effective too.

Anonymous said...

I dislike crime shows and dislike American crime shows even more. Why is it that every second show on television these days is a crime show? Can people seriously not think of anything better to make films about? There's such a lack of creativity about it, so void of imagination. Someone dies, a bunch of people try and work out who did it. We already know what's going to happen. Sure, some say it's about the journey not the destination, but in this case pretty much all the ideas have been used already and now it's just a case of each show trying to out-cool the others. Also, I hate the over simplification of science (this is mainly just true of CSI).

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/wab/CSI/

Otherwise... Compromise (having to do it and being able to do it) is good in a relationship. I think some of the most fulfilling relationships are those which make you think about things and force new experiences upon you, and as a result change you a little bit.

Fodder said...

I'm one of those people who loves crime shows - although, there are some that I'm not such a big fan of, due to the poor acting, or stupid story lines.

I agree that it's good to experience new things. :) *cough* chick-flicks *cough*

*Looks over at Lex*