Sunday 11 May 2014

Not Like Those Other Girls

When I first started uni, a lot of the people around me (friends, family) kept saying how nice it was to be doing engineering, because there were so many males compared to females (they didn't know about my secret boyfriend at the time, so I think they were trying to hint that maybe it was time for me to find someone). I kept trying to insist that the male to female ratio wasn't the reason I wanted to study engineering, but in the end, I gave up. I guess it was lucky to be surrounded by guys when I did end up breaking up with my boyfriend.

Over the course of my uni (and gaming) career, I got to know a lot of guys, mostly of the geeky persuasion, and I also got to hear a wishlist of features that many wished their girlfriends had: like to play games, like sci-fi, like fantasy, like paper and pen roleplaying games, like wargames, like eating junk food, etc. In the deepest times of loneliness, I often wondered, if they wanted those things, and I had those things, why did they never want me? I was pretty much a niche product for that market, but I had so few buyers. What was wrong with me?


–]jurymast 3556 points 
The female equivalent of a neckbeard is a Not-Like-Those-Other-Girls girl. Yeah, you're a female, but you're not like... you know, those other girls. Other girls are stupid and vapid, and only care about boys and shopping. Other girls only watch Sex and the City, and their favorite activities are gossiping and stabbing each other in the back. Other girls are sluts who wear tacky clothes and too much make-up and have no self-respect.
You're not like that. You watch anime (subs only, of course) and play video games. You don't read Twilight or any of those shitty paranormal romance novels. You read comic books and ASoIaF (which you liked before the show, tyvm). You'd rather fling yourself off an overpass than wear something girly or pink. All your friends are guys, and they know you're one of them; you're one of the cool girls. You're smarter than all those ditzy popular girls, and that makes you better than them. You're a unique and special snowflake amongst a sea of clonebot OtherGirls, and maybe, just maybe, one day some cute nerdy guy will see you for the catch you are, and be the Derp to your Derpina.

As soon as I read that, I thought, "Wow, that's me." (except the part about reading ASoIaF before the show, I'm one of the late adopters). Tangent: I never knew being "one of the guys" was a thing until I was dating RB. He added me into a group conversation with a friend of his from high school, and that friend ended up adding me as a contact. He messaged me saying, "Don't worry, I'll never hit on you, you're just one of the guys to me." I think that was the first time I had knowingly been friendzoned.

I'm a female neckbeard. Ignoring all that "m'lady" and fedora rubbish often associated with neckbeards, the part that makes me worried is how neckbeards often act courteously towards women, and feel that that alone is enough to make them feel entitled to reciprocal romantic feelings from those women. Then get upset when those feelings never manifest. I think I was the same - I thought I had all the qualities that they seemed to want, and so I should have been entitled to male attention.

What some of the other comments in that thread touched on were how these female neckbeards often unkempt, had no hygiene, had a misguided notion of how physically attractive they are - but they thought that as long as they had those Not-Like-Those-Other-Girls qualities, it would be enough. I can definitely associate with that. I remember thinking that surely it would be better to stay up and fit in another game of Dota rather than go to bed early in order to have enough time to do hair and make-up in the morning. Now I think it's more important to be more balanced. I'm not so delusional as to think that appearance isn't important anymore.

I've also realised that they're not mutually exclusive. Just because I want to be good at gaming doesn't mean that I shouldn't take care of myself. I do feel better now that I've been taking better care of myself physically. And I don't know if it's the virus talking, but lying in bed, I realised I really need a new wardrobe. I think I should be dressing my age, or at least more mature - especially as I can wear casual at work every day now, but not everyone in the office is doing it, so I tend to look a bit out of place. My boss introduced me to someone that I might some day want to work for, but I was dressed in jeans, T-shirt and a hoodie. He was wearing a suit. I don't think I gave off a very good impression.

My new self-improvement goal is to push myself into wearing something outside my comfort zone. Here is the plan:

Month-1: Buy new clothes.
Month-2: Once new clothes have been acquired, find a friend who is willing to hold on to my old clothes. This is so I don't relapse into wearing my old clothes.
Months 2-5: Continue wearing new clothes

After 5 months, I want to see if I feel comfortable enough in the new clothes. I met a new friend who is willing to go through this whole thing with me. We are even going to learn to wear heels together! I feel really excited about my new project. :D Hopefully this will be an end to NeckbeardFodder.

No comments: