Friday 11 September 2015

Early to Bed, Early to Rise

I mentioned earlier that I now started getting to work at 6:30. That's a bit of a lie, as due to the train I manage to catch, it's either 6:15 or 6:45, but I guess it averages out?

So it all started when I stepped on the scales it the screen said, "You're fat" back at me. I had given myself a month after Europe to get back to normal, but July flew by and suddenly it was August and it was time! Well, I didn't make as much progress as I had hoped, so I faced a choice. Either I could keep complaining about it, or I could do something about it.

The do something about it turned into decided to wake up at 5am to go to the gym before work. I found that I was struggling to go after work, because I kept making excuses like I had to make dinner, or I wanted to play Dota. Well, there's nothing to cook at 5am, and nobody to play Dota with. Plus, I had the added benefit of being able to catch public transport to work at a discounted rate as it is during non-peak time.

Well, that super failed, as the gym doesn't even open until 5:45 (Intern Daniel did try to warn me about that), and if I started at that time, and accounted for shower time, I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the discounted travel. Anyway, with nothing else to do at 5am, I decided the only thing left was to go to work.

It is amazingly serene on the train that early in the morning. It's like everyone is quiet in respect for the people who are still in bed. I feel like I can zone out without getting distracted. I can read or just stare out the window. I know I sound super old saying something like that, but that's just the way I feel.

And work. Oh, wow, it's so nice. There is only one other person on the floor at that time, so I can really get into the zone. I find that I get so much done before other people start coming in. I'll admit, the first day was a struggle. I nearly fell asleep a few times throughout the day. But the second day was much better. That's when I started to get more productive. I don't know what it is, maybe it's just that I know I'm going home earlier, so I feel like my deadline is a lot sooner than it really is. Since I have swapped though, I managed to complete 18 story points in 2 weeks. New record for me. I don't know, my usual line, sample size is too small. But it does feel good.

The downside to getting in early is that sometimes people forget. Or don't realise. I haven't really gotten around to telling the whole team yet, as I don't directly work with them all, so I'm not sure if it's really relevant. This week has been pretty tough. We had a big release over the weekend, and there have been some issues that have come out. So everyone has been putting in lots of work trying to figure things out. My boss actually warned me about this, the strain of getting in early and then staying late because stuff just has to get done.

I want to do it at the moment, because I can see the toll that it's taking on one of the senior devs, who is pretty much the sole person everyone is relying on to take care of everything. But at the same time, I feel like I'm not getting enough rest. I feel like even though I'm awake, and I can still work, a part of me hasn't really recharged. Hopefully things start to calm down tomorrow. But luckily, I have nothing planned for this weekend, other than spending some quality time with MrFodder, and getting some much needed rest.

Oh... and going to the gym. :|

No comments: