Thursday 21 December 2017

Episode VIII


Sorry for the grainy photo, but I was trying to get a good one, and this is about as non-spoilery as you can get, I think.

It seems to be the tradition to see it with Chimerie and SC, so we did so again this year. As with last time, we didn't book ahead, and ended up seeing it a week late, which meant a week of trying to avoid spoilers. Although, after a week without reddit and I've found that I have so much more time in my day! Reddit is my psuedo news source, so I don't know if it's a good idea to drop it completely - at least not until I have a replacement.

As for the movie itself, I won't say anything spoilerish (which is going to make this post really short), but I really appreciated the use of music in this movie. There were moments of absolute silence, and they really well tied in with the moments where the story makes you hold your breath as you wait to see how a particular event plays out. They re-used a lot of leitmotifs from the original trilogy, which I liked.

One of the tropes I really like is the Book Ends trope, although it may be more of a Continuity Nod in this case, but I think there were quite a few in this movie. I don't think it's necessary to know the backstory behind them to enjoy the movie, it's probably more for the fans than anything else.

I really don't know what else I can write. I feel that writing whether or not I enjoyed it can influence someone else's enjoyment of the movie, so I can't even write that! So I'll just leave this post well short of my 500-word target. Enjoy not having to read a giant wall of text today!

No comments: