Friday 29 December 2017

Le Fabuleux Destin


I wasn't planning on ending up here, I actually stopped by the Haunted Bookshop first, but it was closed, so I walked around looking for lunch, and noticed some pictures on the walls.






As hipster as this is going to sound, it's not too unusual to see artwork on the walls of an alley in Melbourne. I followed it around the corner, and came across this sign.


It's a mini-exhibit, where some local artists have been given one of the characters from the latest Star Wars movie, and asked to create something. Porgs are also included...


I thought a lot of the artwork was really cool. There are limited edition T-shirts (I was told that only 100 are printed of each design), with the artwork printed on them, which you can buy in the store for $75 each. If you head upstairs, you can see some of the original art that was created, and some other art, including this clever neon sign (the first half of which is today's photo).



I think this picture of Finn, by Adnate, looks awesome, but the price tag is a bit high for me ($8,500). The picture is tinted red because of the lighting in the room.


This picture of Kylo Ren, by Anthony Lister, is $17,500. I don't think I'll ever be able to afford pieces of art like this and hang it in my house.


There's also an app you can download, and there's some AR stuff with the images. I didn't check it out, because I'm not really a fan of downloading random apps to my phone, but if you are, and want to use your home's WiFi to do it, the app is called "EyeJack". Anyway, this was on the corner of Bourke St and McKillop St, if you want to check it out.

I've found a lot of weird stuff walking around on my lunch break.

Here's an ad that I never answered...


Here's something that I wanted to follow up on, but never remembered, and I feel like it's too late. Sadly, part of the ad seems to have been ripped / spray painted over, but here's what I can make out.


Found on the 26th June, 2017:

... for funny guy met last saturday
...!!!
...lous or weird to some people, but I'm searching for a
...... not remember his name, started with M ->
... ?) All I know is that his birthday is at the end of
...), he's about 1,93m tall, athletic, has blond hair
...... a sandwich kid). I met him on my way home
rk.... Victoria Markets. He works as a constructor at
...lding... ment (Queen Street). We spent the night
...r at ... nders Station, Victoria Bridge) and heaeded (sic.)
... my h... ts located at A'Beckett Street (Nomands
... ackers) 
...ome reason h... phone and we didn't exchange facebook
... cts... 
...body knows him, works with him or if he sees this himself,
...ntact me!!!

I found it near the corner of Queen and Bourke St, and there's a building that's been under construction there for what feels like forever. I kinda guessed that since the paper is so torn up and spray painted over already, that it has been there for quite a while (this is why you should put a date on your notes!), given that the surrounding posters were pristine.

I really wanted it to work out like it does between Nino and Amelie in Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain, where she picks up a photo album he leaves behind. He puts up a lost sign, with his contact details, which she sees the next time she's at the train station.


She calls and ends up calling an adult shop (which happens to be where Nino works), which puts her off. She goes to the shop to try and find Nino, but he's not there that day, as he also works at an amusement park.

Rather than actually leave the book at the store, or meet up with him like a regular person, she leaves a photo telling him where to be, starting a series of events where she leaves clues on how he can find her, eventually leading him to where she works, only for her shyness to take over, and she finds she's unable to actually talk to him.

I really don't like the Love at First Sight trope, but there's just something about the way that it's done in this movie that's so endearing. Probably because creating a silly treasure hunt for someone to follow is exactly the kind of thing I would dream up as the only way I could tell someone I have romantic feelings for them.

Unfortunately, even though I've been keeping my eye out for a follow up sign, I haven't seen one. Which either means the person found the guy they were looking for, and didn't feel the need to follow up (my preferred version of the truth), or it was yet another missed connection.

No comments: