Thursday 28 December 2017

Vanilla Custard Ice-Cream


I tried using the vanilla custard from Donna Hay's vanilla slice recipe (minus the cornflour and water) to see if it can be turned into ice-cream. And the answer is... no. I think it needs a bit more sugar so it isn't as hard when it's frozen. I also changed it a bit, because cream and milk comes in 200ml cartons. Maybe that's why I needed more sugar.

Ingredients
400ml milk
400ml single cream
60g unsalted butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
150g caster sugar
6 egg yolks

Method
Heat milk, cream, butter, vanilla and sugar until just boiled. Whisk mixture into egg yolks. Allow to cool for at least 4 hours in the fridge, but make sure to keep whisking every now and again so the butter doesn't settle on top. Churn in ice-cream machine.

The result...?

It's just vanilla ice cream....

But I made it because I know MrFodder loves custard. And ice-cream has origins in custard, so I thought it would be nice to make this as an accompaniment for Christmas pudding. I never knew what the difference between vanilla custard and vanilla ice-cream was, and now I know: vanilla ice-cream has been churned and frozen.

You're welcome, everyone.

Michael gave me the recipe for the custard he made for his tarte aux pommes, so I'll try that as an ice-cream flavour, as I think it'd go really well with apple-pie. Mmmm...

Anyway, the Christmas pudding had unexpected alcohol (cider and brandy), and I'm full of turkey, pork, duck and ham, so that'll be all for today's post. I made it past halfway to 500...

No comments: