Saturday 22 April 2017

Brickman - Wonders of the World



MrFodder and I went to see the Brickman - Wonders of the World exhibit at the Melbourne Museum today. It features various wonders of the world made entirely of lego, along with some other things. I kinda feel bad, as I'm not very good when it comes to history, so the only wonders of the world I really know are the ones featured in the Civilisation games. But even without knowing what they all look like, each piece was still amazing to see.



What I really loved about them wasn't how closely they matched the object they're trying to reproduce, but all the little things they had as side features. I know, it's stereotypical to have people in Italy eating pizza, and people in France carrying baguettes, but I thought it was really cute.

For instance, this was Big Ben reproduced in Lego, with the red double decker busses that London is famous for.



But if you look closer, you can see Sherlock Holmes and John Watson:


And a phone booth with a little Lego dalek.



The ones I was most surprised to see were the famous paintings reproduced in Lego. I never even thought to do something like that.

A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte:



And what it looks like up close:


Mona Lisa:


And up close:


Being the nerds that we are, we were very impressed with the Lego Apple Macintosh, complete with Lego Rubik's cube, mug with stationary, card holder and calculator.


They also had a wall where you could make your own tile with lego pieces with a design, which reminded me of /r/place.



Naturally, someone made a penis.


It wasn't us, I promise.

Scattered around the exhibits were places where you could make your own Lego creations, which would keep the kids occupied.


If you do plan to go, and want to go in the morning (it wasn't that crowded, which was nice), then you should book tickets ahead of time. The visit wasn't limited, as we weren't kicked out. It took us about 45 minutes to see it all, and it cost $75 for the two of us.


Was really cool to see though!

Taking way too long to upload all the photos, so I will make a part 2.

No comments: