Sunday 2 April 2017

Fed In French (and the Rest of the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival)


This weekend, as part of the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival, there was a French food festival at Federation square. I invited Lucy to come along with me, as she loves French food, and Pharmacist joined us as well. We ended up going at around 4pm, which was probably a good idea, as it was neither lunch nor dinner time, though it did mean that I ended up having a late breakfast so that I'd be hungry by 4.

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival is on at the same time, and there seemed to be quite a few funny performers around. I thought this guy was hilarious. He was doing magic tricks, and telling jokes. I felt a bit bad for him, as the crowd was a bit serious, so I tried to laugh and clap a lot, but I couldn't stay long as I had places to go and people to see!



There were lots of stalls, almost all food stalls, including French favourites: bread, cheese, crêpes, pâté. One of the stalls said it had galettes, which I've never had and wanted to try but it seemed to only sell crêpes.


We ended up getting crêpes, though they had run out of the sweet batter, and only had gluten-free savoury left.



Lucy got an apple and cinnamon butter one, and I got a raspberry jam and dark chocolate sauce one. It was actually really nice, and I think my next ice-cream flavour will probably be raspberry and chocolate.



The had other foods that sounded delicious, but we had French food the night before, and there was also a pizza festival on as part of the overall MFWF, so I wanted to hold off for that.


Was also really nice to hear people everywhere speaking French. I swear I've only met three French people in Australia, but at this festival, it seemed like everyone was able to speak French. Where are all these people hiding?!

Other than the Fed in French part, there was a beer, wine and cider section, which I wasn't that interested in.


They had cooking demos running throughout the weekend.


There was a section that seemed like it was just for me: Sweet Alley




(cronuts and other things from Rustica - I cut off the name of the restaurant, oops!)

There was a food truck section.


And right next to that was a stall doing BBQ'd meats, which smelled amazing, but we were holding out for pizza!


Unfortunately, the pizza section didn't have any pizzas that appealed to us, and we ended up going to SPQR instead, but it was nice watching the people making the pizzas, and I felt so jealous that we don't have a wood-fired pizza oven at home.



However, they did have a pizza acrobatics performance, which was amazing to watch.



I think the event was nice, but pretty expensive. :( I guess that is to be expected when it comes to festivals though. I did get lots of inspiration for things to make at home, and maybe one day I can become a pizza acrobat, too.

No comments: