Tuesday 25 April 2017

Vegan Anzac Day Ice Cream Sandwich


redbeanpork suggested making ANZAC biscuit ice-cream sandwiches for ANZAC day. The recipe he linked was this: http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/recipe-search/feature-recipe/2015/1/anzac-and-golden-syrup-ice-cream-sandwiches/, but I used the ANZAC biscuit recipe from http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/anzac-biscuits-2/8373f5a9-f47a-43b5-837e-8c32cc33f558 instead, as I've never heard of adding ginger to them. The ice cream is a modification on my modification of the Serious Eats vegan vanilla ice cream base, except I removed the granulated sugar, and increased the xylitol, because of the addition of the golden syrup.

Ingredients
Golden syrup ice-cream
400ml coconut cream
400ml soy milk
10g pea proten
6g xanthan gum
110g xylitol
176g golden syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

ANZAC biscuits
150g plain flour
90g rolled oats
85g desiccated coconut
100g brown sugar
55g caster sugar
125g butter (I used Nuttelex instead)
45g golden syrup (2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons water
1/2 tablespoon bi-carb soda



Method
Ice cream
1. Combine all ingredients except vanilla in a saucepan and whisk until it's mixed enough that the sugar and golden syrup aren't stuck to the bottom.. Heat over medium heat, whisking as you go to to help smooth out the lumps. Once it's smooth, and starts to simmer, remove from heat and cool in the fridge for at least 4 hours.

2. Prepare according to your ice-cream maker's instructions, then cool for at least 5 hours to harden.

ANZAC biscuits
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, oats, coconut and sugars



3. In a small saucepan, combine the water, golden syrup, butter over medium heat until smooth. Add the bi-carb soda. It'll get all frothy.


4. Mix liquids into the floury, oaty mix.


5. Scoop 1 tablespoon balls into baking tray.


6. Flatten slightly until they're about 1cm thick.


7. Bake for 15 minutes - you don't want them to be too brown. Allow to cool. Pair off the biscuits into ones that are roughly the same shape and size.


Once ice-cream has hardened enough that it's scoopable, serve between two biscuits.



I couldn't wait that long for the ice-cream to harden, so that's why mine looks so melty. Still delicious though, so it'll be nicer once the ice-cream has hardened enough to scoop. I tried putting a baking paper collar around one, so that I could put the ice-cream in and freeze it. It didn't hold it very well.



The one from the top of the post is after the ice-cream had hardened in the freezer overnight so that it was scoopable.

Happy ANZAC day!

-------------------------------

Edit: Oops, forgot this part!

Today is the end of week 3:

Weight: 58.4 / 59.1 / 58.9 / 58.6
Waist: 74.5 / 75.5 / 75.5 / 74.5
Hips: 88 / 89 / 90.5 / 88.5
Bust: 89.5 / 91 / 89.5 / 90
Left thigh: 52.5 / 51.5 / 53 / 52.5
Left calf: 35.5 / 35.5 / 37 / 35.5
Right thigh: 53.5 / 53.5 / 54 / 53
Right calf: 36.5 / 36 / 36.5 / 35
Left bicep: 31 / 29 / 29  / 29
Right bicep: 30 / 29 / 30.5 / 30.5

Yesterday, I weighed in at 60.9, which is the first time I've been over 60 in a long time. It was actually pretty heartbreaking, as I feel like I've put in so much effort over the past few weeks, and the number kept getting higher and higher. But Easter was pretty bad, as I ate a lot. I can't even blame work being stressful, as it hasn't been. I really don't know why my weight keeps going up.

I almost felt like calling the whole thing off, but then I'd be letting GP down. Plus, I had to meet Pharmacist at the gym later in the day, and I didn't want to let him down, too. I guess that's the power of making a commitment with another person. But what does that say about me and my willpower? I really don't know what motivated me to go from 69 to 52 the first time I did it. Maybe part of it was that we just lived so close to the gym and I felt compelled to go. I had a regular routine of yoga, pilates and zumba classes, so it wasn't even about the weight back then, but just the routine of going.

I still don't really have a real goal I'm working towards now. I have the mini One-Punch Man thing, but even if I don't make it, I don't care. Pharmacist asked if I'm having a mid-life crisis, and I think maybe I am.

Well... this post got dark quickly!

No comments: