Wednesday 10 August 2011

Shumi

I thought I would start blogging more now that I've started a new chapter in my life, full time work, but most of the time, I'm either too tired to write anything, or I'm afraid what I want to write might contain some sensitive information, and I don't want to get into trouble. So most of what I write is probably going to be on the lunchtime philosophy of the Arnie twins.

I find them so refreshing after meeting so many of the grads who seem to think they are on the path to being world leaders or something. Someone in my new team summed it up nicely, "The graduate program tells us that we're full of fresh ideas, and that everyone wants to listen to what we have to say, but in reality, we're sitting in a line behind last year's grads, who are sitting behind the 2009 grads, etc." So when I get yet another email from one of the grads trying to make their mark, I always have to resist the urge to add them to an auto reply list, which sends an email saying that there is a technical error, and I was unable to receive their email. Then it forwards that email to my junk folder.

A few weeks ago, George said to me that he finds it strange that there are so many girls out there whose only hobby is their boyfriend. They might go shopping, or learn to cook, but the main center of their activities is either attaining, or keeping a boyfriend. If they do have a boyfriend, then they will also spend a large amount of time with them. While George did say he excluded me from that generalisation (because I am a tech girl, rather than a "normal" girl), I have to say, I feel like it applies to me as well. I mean, I even said myself that one of the main reasons I wanted to learn to cook was because someone told me that there are two ways to get a guy, be really good in bed, or be really good in the kitchen.

Though I think now that MrMan5.5 and I have settled in together, I don't feel like so much of my life revolves around him. While there are things that I do for him, a lot of my focus now has been on self-improvement for my own sake (like going to Ruxmon and Limited WIP). While we do spend a lot of time together, we have our own lives, and our own preferences.

But is it a good thing to have your partner as your hobby? Now that my sample size of married couples has grown to something larger than one, let's take a look:

COUPLE #1
They seem pretty independent of each other when it comes to pastimes - sometimes to the extent that I wonder if one of them spends more time with the denizens of the internet than with his wife. However, they seem pretty happy when I see them together. I don't imagine that they hold each other back when one of them wants to do something and the other doesn't. Nor do I get the impression that when one of them is busy, the other one is just sitting there watching them do whatever they are doing.

COUPLE #2
He seems to be the center of her life. Everything they do, they seem to do together. I don't even know if they have their own group of friends, it just seems to be one group (and not even partly her group, she seems to have melded into his group). On the few occasions that I have seen them together, it seems like he is trying to get away from her.

It reminds me of a couple MrMan5.5 and I saw on the plane to and from Japan. The wife was seated next to us, and she wouldn't stop talking for the entire flight. I had my book in front of me, and MrMan5.5 was playing his DS, but she didn't seem to take the hint, and the only way I could escape her was to fall asleep. She was saying to the flight attendant that the ticket people made a mistake, and her husband was seated somewhere else, and if possible, she'd like to be moved to where he is.

MrMan5.5 and I have a theory that he purposely asked to be seated away from her. When was saw them on the way back to Australia, we dodged them, even going so far as to run through China airport so we could make it around the corner through that foreign transfer thing without getting stuck in line with them.

To be honest, I prefer Couple #1's style. I find that I need to spend some time without having to deal with people, and although I still talk to people online, it doesn't feel the same as talking to someone face-to-face. I guess because I can just leave whenever I want. I don't feel like I need to drag MrMan5.5 everywhere with me, nor do I feel like I have to squeeze myself into his circle of friends somehow. Maybe it's also better like this, as it will take longer for you to get sick of each other if you don't spend every waking moment together.


***********************

So the other thing that has come from the Arnie twins is my new weight loss scheme - WiiFit. I noticed it sitting with them today, they're both big, buff, bodybuilding types, and I'm this fat Asian girl sitting with them at lunch. I could just hear the song in my head, "One of these things is not like the others..." While I could console myself with the fact that even though they're all buff, they're not gamers like me, so they must have way more time to spend at the gym. But it's not true, they're both really good at TF2, and they spend a lot of time building their own electronic stuff, and yet they still manage to make the time to go to the gym.

So my new thing is I'm going to use WiiFit to train. Why WiiFit even though it's a gimmick? Well, I have tried running, and I have no motivation, but I think I will be more motivated when high scores are involved. All WiiFit really needs is achievements and I'd be hooked. The other part is, I have this idea in the back of my head that I'll become an urban legend, like that guy who managed to lose a heap of weight playing DDR, I'll be that girl who lost weight playing WiiFit!

Hopefully, it'll also motivate me to blog more, as I'll be updating my results at the bottom of a post every week.

So today, my weight is 66kg.
In 2 months, I am aiming to be 60kg.

Wish me luck!

No comments: