Thursday 13 July 2017

Fry Day... On a Thursday


Of all the times to be doing the $15 challenge....

Someone brought a cake into the office today, and went to the effort of buying a slice of dairy-free cake for me. I asked IP if it was OK for me to have a bit, and he said yes (because he didn't think I'd actually do the $15 challenge, and he thinks I'm kinda crazy for doing it). I only had a small slice of the slice of cake, so I tried my best to stick to the challenge.

The harder part is all the free food that seems to be around right now - samples, people giving away food at work (Lenny wanted to give me leeks). And today was free fries day at Lord of the Fries, which meant free frees with tomato sauce. IP said it was OK for me to take advantage of it, since I still wasn't spending money, but I thought it was against the spirit of the challenge, so I opted to give it a miss. Since a friend of mine wanted to go, I thought I'd accompany him, and see how bad it was.

The line wasn't actually that long, though that's just the line to order, I'm not sure how long it took to actually get food.


I really like Lord of the Fries, mostly because of this conversation I had at one of their stores.

Me: Can I please get regular chips with the Italian sauce, but no cheese?
Cashier: Did you know that we have vegan cheese?
Me: No, I didn't! Yes please, put the cheese on!

And I have been a happy customer ever since, even though sometimes the sauce leaks through the box and I made the stupid mistake of wearing white pants that day. I didn't even care. Deliciously cheesy Italian sauce on nice chunky chips. They do now line their boxes with aluminium foil, which does help prevent the sauce from soaking through the bottom of the box. And they have tofu nuggets.

Judging from the reactions of a lot of people, they don't seem to like that it's sneakily vegetarian / vegan. Which is probably why they've started advertising that a bit better.

I don't even care, I just like potatoes and I like Italian sauce. I really regret not buying a bag of potatoes now. Damn capsicums.

In the end, I couldn't bring myself to wait with my friend, as the smell of fried potatoes was making my willpower falter.

No comments: