Wednesday 12 July 2017

Melbourne BolArt


Just in case you didn't bring your magnifying glass, and can't be bothered clicking to zoom the image, here's the comic panel by itself:


In January, 2017, a the Bourke St Massacre happened - a car drove through the city, hitting several people along the Bourke St Mall, resulting in six deaths, and thirty injured. One of the responses to that has been to install these cement bollards in places that tend to have high foot traffic, to make it more difficult for a car to drive through and mow people down.


In what I think is a lovely effort to make the most of a sad event, people have been beautifying these bollards with what is being termed "BolArt" on reddit - which I'd say is a portmanteau of "bollard" and "art".

Someone mentioned that they're just temporary, so I thought I'd try and capture some pics before they're removed. At the suggestion of redbeanpork, I kicked one, and all that happened was that my foot bounced off it.

Someone creative has put out a checkers board for people to play with. None of them people walking by who commented on it seemed to want to play though (myself included).


Of course, we have the iconic Australian criminal:


Or it could be an artistic interpretation of Bender. It's hard to tell.

My favourite was this one. I wonder if the artist changes the weather patch every morning.


I should have taken a photo of the other side, it has an arrow pointing towards the tram stop, saying "Trams". I actually didn't look on the 4th side, I will have to report back tomorrow!

Edit: This is what the other side looks like:



There are quite a few Thwomps around.


And whatever this is meant to be - Catwoman? A dancer?


A Rubik's cube!


Wasn't able to find a Companion cube, but I feel like it's only a matter of time.

A couple of my failed attempts at capturing a bunch at once.



And here are a bunch more.



No idea what that is meant to be - a limpet mine? Saw a bunch of those around, too.








BolArt in action!


No comments: