Sunday 7 December 2008

SecretiveFodder

So I accidentally stumbled upon a piece of gossip about a friend of mine's ex, which I was told is being kept under wraps, and supposedly a lot of people don't know about it - although the first part isn't very secretive, it's something you'd realise if you were with the guy for even a few minutes. -_-

Anyway, I told my friend about it, while keeping the secret part a secret, but she wanted to know. Which is reasonable, right? Wanting to know stuff about your ex makes sense - although I am not sure I really want to know if AG is dating someone else, but I think that's a bit of a different case.

Since I refused to tell her, she played the ex-card (ie. I'm his ex, I should know!), but I didn't think that was reason enough for her to know. It's not like it would change anything, as I'm pretty sure she has no desire to go back to him, which is a good thing. Still, if it were MrMan5.5 in her position, he said that he would like to know who it was. He says that people tend to date a certain type of person, and finding out who was next might give you insight into what type of person you are. He also says it's a comparison thing, the chance to compare the person who came after you with yourself.

Personally, if someone didn't want me to know, then I'd just let it go. They're keeping it low-key for a reason, and I really don't want to intrude just to satisfy my curiosity. I don't know, for me, relationships tend to be one of those things that you just don't push if someone is unwilling to talk. Although, I think that irritates some people. I remember someone from high school who would get really annoyed that I just didn't care that she was keeping a secret from me. I got the feeling that she wanted me to hound her for hours trying to get her to tell me, so I just pretended that I didn't care, and she ended up spilling her guts after 5 minutes of trying to tempt me. So maybe that's why I end up with a lot of people telling me stuff.

Though that's the other factor, I want to be known as a trustworthy person. If I always end up telling people stuff, then I will lose the trust that people have in me. Still, I would like to tell my friend what her ex is up to now. =/

1 comment:

Jedi_Amara said...

Still, I would like to tell my friend what her ex is up to now. =/

Then just do >_> Like, you shouldn't have mentioned it at all if you were going to refuse details entirely. In these situations it should be all or nothing.