Thursday 11 December 2008

Silly Season

I am not entirely sure why, but perhaps it's the stupid teen movies that I watch, or all of the Sweet Valley High novels I read in high school, or maybe even some sort of osmosis from somebody on the other side of the world watching The OC causing me to become the way that I am. I was watching two of my friends argue, and one of them (the female) was pretending to be mad. The guy immediately started trying to make it up to her and appease her in some way. Regardless of what he said, she continued to pretend to be angry, and he just ended up completely confused. It was just out of nowhere. It reminds me of those bimbo girls in teen movies who have guys follow them around doing whatever they say, and every now and again, for no reason, she'll get angry at him and make him grovel, just so she can remind him who is power.

Personally, I've always thought that kind of behaviour is stupid. It just seems like a stupid way to get attention, to me. I believed I was above that kind of stuff, it's not what educated, logical people do. While I was watching my above-mentioned friends argue, that was going through my head, but then I also realised that I had been doing that myself, to MrMan5.5. I can't actually remember any conversations off the top of my head, but I'm just going to make one up. I know it'll sound fake and dumb, but unfortunately, I don't think it's too far off the truth. =/

Me: I can't reach that book, can you get it for me, please?

MrMan5.5: You're so short!

Me: Oh, I see. I'm not tall enough for you, am I?

MrMan5.5: I was just being silly.

Me: No you weren't. Fine, I'm going to go and find a shorter guy.

MrMan5.5: I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that! I was just joking.

Me: I thought you cared about me.

MrMan5.5: Don't go! Please, Anna!

Me: I was just being silly, too. Don't be sad!


I realise now that at that point, MrMan5.5 is probably thinking, "WTF just happened?!" The thing is, I don't even realise that I'm doing it! I've been talking to someone, and he is telling me how frustrating it is when his girlfriend causes drama and he has no idea what started it. He wants to make it up to her and avoid drama, but he also doesn't want her to think that kind of behaviour is acceptable. I agree with him on the second point, it is stupid attention-seeking behaviour that just completely confuses the other person. I guess on some level, it's a test, and the guy has to respond the right way, but it's kinda like taking someone to REB during the exam period and making them sit some random exam - sure, they might get lucky and end up sitting an exam they know something about, but chances are that person is just going to be pulling their hair out in frustration. The worst thing is, sometimes the guy doesn't even know he's being tested.

To me, these "tests" seem so unfair, and I know that I've said it twice already, but I don't know why I keep doing it! Before I know it, I'm going to be one of those completely irrational girls who goes completely crazy if her guy doesn't bring her chocolate flowers on their anniversary. The strangest part is, he has given me no reason at all to think that he doesn't care about me, so why would I have the need to test him?

Argh, I'm frustrating myself!

5 comments:

Joanna said...

I do the same thing, also without really thinking about it. I think it's turned into habit for me, which is really dumb.

It is, however, a more effective way to get attention than to ask (sometimes, and obviously depending on the person).

Fodder said...

That's the main problem for me, I really don't like the idea of being an attention whore, but the fact that I'm probably doing that kind of stuff just to get attention makes me sad. :(

Lex said...

>______________________________<

From my perspective it doesn't seem that way at all. When you do it, it's obviously a joke to me, so most of the time I'm following through on the joke >_<. I've never once been "WTF just happened?!"

That, and, the situations are never as dramatic as you made that one out to be. You're never like 'Fine! I'm going!" or anything near that. You've never actually been properly angry at me in those situations, so I know they're a joke.

In terms of them being attention seeking, in your case I don't really think it is, seeing as they're usually done while I'm already paying attention to you (like how I'm commenting "You're so short!").

I don't think what you're doing is a test either, as it seems like a joke to me, and by the sounds of things you're not thinking to yourself, "Ok, I'll judge what he thinks of me based on what he's going to say", you just do it automatically and don't really think anything of it, hence why you haven't realized that you've been doing it.

Jedi_Amara said...

I never read any SV* books. I was always a BSC person. :3

Anonymous said...

haha, girls are just like that? i do it all the time. sometimes i dun even realise i'm doing it. that and the whiny voice. i think most boyfriends would like us to stop the whiny voice.