Tuesday 16 December 2008

Mmm... Tofu

I know that I've complained about my allergies a few times before, but I think I should stop eating out because of them. It just seems to cause problems for people who eat with me, and people who have to cook for me. The last time I ate out with friends, I ordered a crispy skin chicken dish, and it arrived with a fried egg on top of the rice. I asked the waiter if I could get one without the egg and he went away and brought it back, only it was the same thing with the egg taken off it. T_T After trying to explain the problem for a bit, he eventually went and got me a different bit of rice. I felt so bad. I didn't see anything about egg on the menu, but someone said that somewhere else in the menu, it said that some dishes came with an egg. Someone else ordered crispy skin pork, and his dish didn't come with an egg. So confusing.

The worst part of it is that I always get embarrassed when I have to explain my allergy, as it isn't even life-threatening, just really uncomfortable (milk, pineapple and peanuts give me hives, egg makes me vomit), but it always ends up being such a big deal. =( I prefer it if people don't know about it, but then when they want to do the "let's order stuff we want and just share it all" thing, I feel bad just eating all of what I ordered, because other people might want it, but sometimes if I don't eat it, then I won't have enough to eat and I'll feel hungry afterwards. I don't want to be selfish and demand something just for myself, but I also don't want to force other people to only eat stuff that I can eat.

I guess that might be part of the reason I like tofu so much. It does taste nice when cooked properly, but generally, people don't seem to like it. Well, most non-Asian/non-vegetarian/vegan people I know can't stand it, and of the people left, most of them think it's bland. I really like the texture of it though - how it's all soft and squishy, and how you can mush it all up with your tongue without even having to bite it. Then there's the harder tofu, that still has a spongy feel to it, and even though it's more chewy than the soft tofu, it absorbs the flavours of stuff nicely, and when you bite into it, all the sauce comes oozing out, and the taste hits you unexpectedly.

Something about Christmas reminded me that I was meant to use Suresh's slave hours to take him to a tofu factory, but never got around to looking for one. Although, it all worked out in the end, because his girlfriend managed to convince him to eat tofu. =)

No comments: