Sunday 1 January 2017

Morning at the Movies

I probably should add a warning that the blog post a day with the 365 day photo challenge is probably going to result in a bunch of "What I had for breakfast"-type posts, but I will try my best to make it something of substance.


I got a pair of movie tickets as a thank you for helping out with the social committee at work this year. MrFodder and I decided we should probably stop being lazy and go and see Rogue One. For those who have been under a rock, or not even really that, as there wasn't as much hype built for this than the last new Star Wars movie, Rogue One is set right before the beginning of Star Wars: A New Hope.

I won't spoil it, as there are probably others who have been just as lazy as we have.

During the movie, I was thinking about how difficult it is to write something in an established universe, and how it is even more difficult to write a prequel, as you don't have the freedom to do things like kill of certain characters, or do something with the story that would clash with the existing storyline. It's often one of the defenses people bring up when the second Star Wars trilogy (episodes 1-3) is criticised. Harder still is writing a direct prequel to something, for instance, in the Star Wars universe, you have the games like Knights of the Old Republic, which is set before the second trilogy, but it's set so far into the past that they almost have their own freedom to do what they want (though keeping with the previously established rules like what jedis can do, and things like that). However, Rogue One tells the story of how the Rebel Alliance ended up with the plans for the Death Star in the first place, so they had to tie that up during the course of the movie.

I think it's an interesting challenge, and maybe one I'll try to tackle over the course of this writing year (hey, not every post has to be like this, I just need to write something, whether it's a discussion, story, poem, random mashing of keys, as long as it's related to the picture in some way.

Random mashing of keys will be when I'm really desperate.

MrFodder and I also went to a morning session, which I don't think I've ever done before. The cinema was nearly empty, and it was really nice being able to stroll out at the end of the movie without a large mass of people around. I think it's now my preferred time to see a movie.

No comments: