Saturday 4 November 2017

Casually Mundane



Captain wanted to do something tonight and I suggested a movie. Forgetting that he is MrMarvel, he suggested seeing the latest Thor movie. I haven't seen Thor 2, but out of all the MCU movies, I found Thor the most underwhelming, though I do see why Tom Hiddleston seems to have developed such a big following.

The Captain mentioned that it's directed by the same guy who made this video, speaking against racism. As tends to happen when you watch something on YouTube, you get sucked down the rabbit hole of watching related videos. I came across this one: Taika Waititi: Mastering Happy Sad Cinema, which the creator describes his style, and the style of Kiwi cinema in general, as the "comedy of the mundane", something that I think is also shared across Australian cinema.

I think there's something about the mundane that gets overlooked. I often tell people that I'm boring, and that I aspire to be mediocre, but I don't mean it in a bad way as such. I say it because I don't want to mistakenly build up hype about myself. I enjoy travelling to foreign countries, but in all honesty, some of the best vacations I've had have been at home, just relaxing, working on my little projects.

I would say that's one of my strengths. I enjoy the mundane, and I work out how to make it fun. I like my job, but at the end of the day, it is a bit of a grind, and can be quite stressful at times. It's the little things, like my social experiments, the baking competitions, and even the moustache compliment challenge (although it caused me a great amount of stress) - they all help make the days go by faster.

Mundane doesn't have to mean bad. Most of my days aren't even all that noteworthy, but for the most part, I would say that I enjoy them. Flipping through my journal (which is separate from my blog), I have a lot of entries where I'm excited by little things that most people wouldn't care about, but make my day.

I got really excited when I saw this sushi making machine in a restaurant:


You press the metal bottom part in, and a flat piece of rice comes out, ready for you to place toppings on it and roll it up. While D was ordering his lunch, I was talking with the sushi chef, and he let me watch him make a bunch of different sushi rolls. D commented, "You find the weirdest things interesting." It's water off a duck's back (no, I'm not pretending that I'm happy this time). Finding pleasure in the mundane means I'm never bored, and I don't need crazy, extravagant things to entertain myself.

If I weren't into being mundane, I'd create some club or something to celebrate it, but I think in the true spirit of being mundane, I'll just go about my regular day.

I didn't end up seeing the movie with Captain, either, but I'll probably see it when it comes out on Netflix (if it does). Captain also said we can have "Racist on the inside" T-shirts, but I can't tell if he's being serious or not.


No comments: