Friday 17 November 2017

Simpsons Chips and Burgers


I don't know who came up with the genius idea, but a few years ago we did a burger crawl, which is like a pub crawl, except instead of visiting a bunch of pubs, we went to 6 different burger restaurants. The 6 were: Huxtaburger, Mr Burger, Simpsons Chips and Burgers, Trunk Diner, Belle's Diner, B.East Burger (with mini stops at Hungry Jacks and N2 for dessert). I only managed 5 burgers, having dropped out when the group visited Simpsons in order to buy a copy of The Resistance. I've been there many times since, and I regret missing it the first time, because I think they have some of the best burgers in Melbourne.

Before people start with the protests, Simpsons Chips and Burgers are more in the style of a fish and chips shop than some of the brioche bun-style burgers that you see in burger restaurants all over the place, so if that's more your thing, I don't want to get into an argument. I just really like how I can eat an entire burger from Simpsons and have that feeling of I-just-had-a-great-burger satisfaction, but without that clogged arteries feeling afterwards. Not saying that the burgers are amazingly healthy or anything, but they still manage to taste great without copious amounts of grease. That being said, I've only ever had one burger there, and it's the spicy chicken burger (with no cheese and no mayo).


It's served in a damper bun (you can pay extra to get a brioche bun, or a gluten-free bun), and looks fairly basic, but it's so tender and juicy. Which is a bit hard to see from this pic:


It has a bit of a kick, as it does have jalapenos and some kind of spicy sauce, but it's not crazy-wings level of burn your mouth spicy. You can kinda see in the second photo, but it is a bit messy to eat, as it does tend to drip out the bottom. I'd also recommend eating it first, as it tends to get a bit soggy at the end if you are a slow eater, like I am. And I haven't managed to work out how to eat it without some of the salad falling out the bottom. Not that it matters, as it's served in a box, so you could eat it while walking if you really wanted. I wouldn't leave it for too long in the box though. I did that once, intending to eat it outside the cinema before my movie, and it was a soggy mess.


As the name implies, they also do chips. I don't normally get them unless eating with MrFodder, as I think the burger is enough for a meal, but they come with a generous coating of their homemade chicken salt. They also do gravy chips, poutines (gravy + cheese), chilly cheese chips, salsa chips and curry cheese chips. I think we have tried the curry chips (without the cheese) in the past, but I can't find a photo. I remember it being OK. I remember the curry being nice, but maybe it was messy, or got too soggy?

I'm not sure what makes their burgers healthy, but according to a photo I took earlier (4th May, 2017):


They have a sign that reads:

Why our BEEF BURGERS are healthy...
We use
Grass-fed lean beef.
Our patties are handmade
and never frozen.
Why our CHICKEN BURGERS are healthy...
We use
Free-range trimmed chicken breast,
with homemade marinade
and are never frozen. 
Why our VEGGIE BURGERS are healthy...
We use
All vegetable patty
and are never frozen.
>>> No preservative and no MSG <<<

It doesn't seem to be up anymore. I don't know what to read into that.

You can also see a poster with a large 2 in the background. I don't know what's with that either, except that it seems people write things on it. Today they had one with a large 4.


With one of the comments saying "Woooo! Here's to another 4 years of amazing burgers" (under the picture of the burger on the right) and another saying "4 years strong" (above where it says "CHACHA" in black, above the same burger on the right). I don't know if the number is meant to indicate the number of years, since I saw a 2 earlier in the year, and we definitely went there 3 years ago. Maybe it's the 4th poster they've had up this year. Either way, I do agree with the sentiment of the posters - they do amazing burgers. There seems to be a lot of love for the veggie burgers, and I've never had a good one, so maybe I'll give it a try next time I'm there.

I don't know if I'd rate them the best burgers in Melbourne. If you don't let me count KFC, because I have a bias towards them, I'd say they're my favourite chicken burger restaurant. I'd have to try their beef burgers to be able to compare, but there are a lot of strong contenders in this arena.

No comments: