Monday 12 June 2017

Hip Hop Scotch


It seems all good things must come to an end, and so it is with another one of my co-workers who is such a pleasure to have around. He was the star of my farewell movie, and the one who convinced me to go out drinking a few weeks ago. Whenever I talk to him, I'm usually rolling over with laughter, but when the situation demands it, he can be serious, and is actually an incredibly talented developer.

I barely had any time for this, but it seems like it's going to have to be a rush farewell video. Given how much he loves to dance, I thought I'd do a parody of So You Think You Can Dance / Australian Idol. But nobody really wants to dance for the video, so I thought I'd try again.

Lucy invited me to a dance class with her, and in the spirit of trying new things, I said yes. It was a hip hop class, and I had no idea what hip hop was, but I figured if Grandpa Simpson could do it, then so could I.

We started with a dance warm-up, which reminded me a lot of Zumba. It really doesn't feel like exercise when your mind is entirely focused on following the next step. We moved on to learning a routine, and before I knew it, class was over. I didn't manage to do the entire routine, but it was pretty fun moving in a way that's different to how I normally move. The steps were both fluid and sharp at the same time, so you could definitely break each step down into a beat (or half-beat), but it all flowed together so well that you might mistake it for one continuous motion.

The dance teacher was really talented. I watched him dance before the start of the class, and it was almost intimidating seeing how well he danced. But I thought he was a good teacher, and I enjoyed the class.

I had planned to do that dance for the video, but I stumbled across this video of Snoop Dog on Family Feud and I couldn't stop laughing, so I felt like I had to do a Snoop Dog song. I picked Drop It Like It's Hot and ended up making my own moves up. Two of my former co-workers were actually in the office today, despite the fact that it's a public holiday, so I didn't film for very long in case they wandered into the kitchen.

There will probably be short posts again until the video is done. Why do I keep doing this to myself?

No comments: