Wednesday 20 September 2017

2 Easey


To farewell MrFodder's sister, we went to Easey's, in Collingwood, a burger bar that is designed to be like the old Connex (?) trains.

On the top floor, it feels very much like being back on one of those trains. You're supposed to take the stairs (up to the 4th floor), but I was carrying so much stuff that the staff let me take the lift. It was pretty cramped in there, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're claustrophobic!


The menu looks a lot like a train line.


Since it was so Melbournian it was hard to go past the Melbourne Madness burger, which had a dim sim and a potato cake inside it. I opted to get them on the side, but MrFodder made the unwise choice of having them included, and the burger was too big to fit in his mouth (the dim sim is cut in half, but the burger was still huge).

To keep with the Melbourne theme, you get to drink water out of a hipster jar.


The burger was delicious, and the potato cake is possibly the best potato cake I have ever had. It was so fluffy, and I think it had peppers or something in it as it had a bit of a spicy flavour. The menu says it's coated in a batter made from Melbourne Bitter. I can't say I've ever had that beer, but I guess it adds to the Melbourne-ness of it.


After the Melbourne Marathon is over, A and I plan to try and find Melbourne's best potato cake, but I don't know if there is one that can top this one. My favourite fish and chips store doesn't even come close.

As far as the price goes, the burgers were on the more expensive side, with none of the burgers being under $10. It also really bothered me that the bacon was hanging out like that. My favourite food scientist, J. Kenji López-Alt, goes through the ideal bacon layout for burgers, and concludes that a bacon weave is the best way to get an even distribution of bacon throughout the whole burger, while still keeping the burger structure stable enough to bite into without having huge slices of bacon fall out. Other than that, I think the place is amazing, and it might be my new favourite burger restaurant.

Mostly because of the potato cake. I'm really craving another one.

We also ordered the wings, and we got a heap of drumsticks, which wouldn't be so bad, except they were pretty tiny. The chips and potato gems were good.

Mmmm, potato cake. Maybe that should be my next food challenge. I am trying to be more Australian, after all!

Edit: I just realised that there are 100 blog posts left for the year. Let the countdown begin!

No comments: