Tuesday 26 September 2017

Nostalgia - Universal Restaurant


One of the benefits of going to uni at The University of Melbourne is being so close to Lygon Street - Melbourne's "Little Italy" (although it is becoming more diversified). One of the university student staples of Lygon St is Universal Restaurant - a fairly large Italian restaurant with some cheap decent meals.


I'm not kidding, this is what we ordered, and no, that's not a miniature knife and fork set - the plates are really big. The parma was only $14! The ribs and wings were $23.90, but honestly, we could probably have split one of those plates between us. TH and I really struggled to finish our food, and this was one of those moments where my eyes were bigger than my entire digestive system.

I remember some of the people from the anime group saying that they introduced spiders (ice-cream in a soft drink) to the restaurant, and I don't know if it was on the menu before, but it seems like they have it now! We were there on a Saturday afternoon, so we didn't have to wait, but I've been there in the past for dinner, and every time there was a long line out the door. The food came out pretty quickly. Faster than I had expected, and for once, I wasn't even hungry, having lost some of my appetite back at the blood exhibition.  But the food smelled so good, it came back pretty quickly.

The layout of the restaurant has changed, it's a lot more open now, with more long tables. I guess they know that uni students like to dine in large groups.

It was nice to re-live uni life again, even if it was only briefly. Definitely recommend going there if you're in the area and after a cheap meal!

No comments: