Saturday 30 September 2017

One Day in September


Given the fact that we get a public holiday for the AFL grand final, and I am trying to be more Australian this year, I thought it would be fitting to watch the grand final match for the first time. I mentioned it to  some people from work, and they suggested I go to a pub to get an authentic experience (since getting tickets at such short notice would be practically impossible). I was a bit hesitant to go to a pub alone and watch the game, and I'm not a huge fan of loud noises, so I opted to watch the game at home instead.

To try and make it a bit more authentic, I was going to get a meat pie and some VB, but D said Four 'n' Twenty pies have really gone downhill lately, and I prefer sausage rolls, so I ended up having a mix of party pies and mini sausage rolls. Of course, this has to be with copious amounts of tomato sauce, and Smiths tomato sauce flavoured chips. I decided to pass on the VB, and did think about getting some craft beer from Richmond, but race day is in just over 2 weeks and I don't want to mess up my training with alcohol at the moment. (Not that eating pastries and loads of salt is really helping much either.)

I did think about buying a pack of these to be more Australian, but even IP said that it sounds gross, so I gave it a miss.


There was also this, but I didn't think it would make for a very good lunch.


I won't post any spoilers, in case anybody hasn't seen the game yet. I didn't get to see much of the boundary umpires running around, since I was watching it on TV, but it was much nicer watching it on TV since you could actually see the players, and the commentators told you what was going on.

I have to say, the person at OPSM (optometrist chain) who suggested they sponsor the umpires has a wicked sense of humour.


I don't really know what else I can say about the game without spoiling anything. I noticed that more Richmond players had giant beards compared to the Adelaide players. It might be because Richmond is becoming a hub for hipsters. MrFodder said we should cheer for Richmond, because at least they're a Victorian team, and we shouldn't support the interstate baddies. I wanted to support Adelaide because when my siblings and I were asked to pick a team, my sister picked Adelaide (I picked Sydney, my brother picked West Coast. I didn't even watch the grand final last year even though it was my team playing....).

Sausage rolls are better than party pies. Much easier to eat, and less burning your tongue with magma hot levels of meat. And less meat going all over your face. I need to learn how to eat meat pies properly before I can call myself Australian.

Oh, side note! A and I have a lot of differences in regards to how to eat food. We were talking about sauce technique for eating meat pies (the bigger ones, not party pies). I said I put the sauce on top and just eat the pie from the side, trying not to let the gooey goodness fall out. Actually, that's not always true. If I'm eating a pie on a plate, I'll put sauce on the top, and then cut a hole in the lid and also squeeze some sauce inside the pie and mix it around so you get this tomato sauce / beef mix inside. Then I'll eat the lid, then the inside, and put more tomato sauce on the pastry before finishing that. MrFodder often asks me if I want some food to go with my tomato sauce.

On the other hand, A is an advocate of slowly applying tomato sauce as you eat the pie. So you take a bite off the side, then tilt the pie on its side and squeeze some sauce over where you bit into it. As you eat the pie, you keep squeezing more sauce on the part where you're about to take a bite. While it does allow for even distribution of the sauce, I think it detracts too much from the eating part.

We are bitter rivals when it comes to tomato sauce. He is a dipper, and I'm a drencher.

This is my ideal method for eating with tomato sauce:


This is his ideal method:


Actually, he'd prefer it if they served the sauce in those stupid thimbles that barely have enough sauce to cover a single chip.

Anyway, I feel like I've written a lot more about my tomato sauce war with A than I have about the football, so I think I'll end it there, as I have nothing else to say about today's match.

No comments: