Saturday 2 September 2017

Pauline Hates Me Anyway


D talked me into getting a Halal Snack Pack with him for lunch. I've heard about HSPs from so many different people, and they sound amazing, although it makes me feel the same way as looking at those food challenge burgers makes me feel - looks delicious, but I'd probably feel sick after a while. He told me that the best place to get one is near the aquarium, so we made the trek over.


There's the one he told me about, pictured above, and another one right next to it. He said that this one was reputedly the better of the two, and he always saw long lines of people outside it on the weekend. Then he added that it might all just be hype, and people walking by would see the line of people and think that this one was better, so they'd also join the line, which would encourage others to line up. We were tossing up between this one and the one next to it, as he wanted to see if this really was the better of the two. I mentioned that I'd never had an HSP before, so he picked this one as he didn't want to ruin my first HSP experience with a bad one.

We both got mixed HSPs - chicken and lamb. His is the one I decided to photograph for today's photo, as it's a "proper" HSP, with cheese, garlic sauce and chilli sauce. Mine was the boring non-dairy version, with tomato sauce and BBQ sauce only.


I also opted for the smaller sized one, as the regular sized looked far too big, but even with the small size, it was too much food for one person. D challenged me to eat the whole thing, and I couldn't let him down, so I did. The meat to chip ratio wasn't very good, and I ran out of chips before I ran out of meat, even though I had to eat through a large chunk of meat to even get to the chips! Plus, the sauce only covered the top, so there was no tomato sauce on the chips.

But I have to admit, it did taste good. At least the first half of it did. I probably could have split this with someone and it would have been enjoyable for both of us - and for $8 for the whole thing, it's pretty good value. D's regular sized one was $12. Personally, I would have preferred a souvlaki, as I enjoy the taste of the wraps.

D told me about Pauline Hanson's history with the HSP, and how she made it popular. In July, 2016, Labor senator Sam Dastyari invited her to join him in Sydney and said he'd take her out for a halal snack pack.

"It's not happening, not interested in halal, thank you." She continued by saying that she didn't believe in the halal certification and claimed that 98% of Australians opposed it. I can't tell if Dastyari is just a huge troll or not, but I thought it was funny.

The outspoken senator used the final minutes of his speech to Parliament on March 16 to wax lyrical about the King Kebab House at Campbelltown in Sydney’s southwest.
“The greeting I got was 10 out of 10,” Mr Dastyari said. “The signage was 10 out of 10.
It was very clear I was purchasing halal products — something that I know many senators on the other side are concerned about. The sauce: fantastic. The chips, the meat, the packaging, the styrofoam container … incredible.”

Pretty much sounds like what I'd be like if I were elected.

No comments: