Thursday 7 September 2017

Mister Nice Guy - Studio Ghibli Day


To continue on my path of Aussie-ness, I decided to go and check out the Studio Ghibli day at Mister Nice Guy's Bakeshop.



I've been there before - they were the bakery I went to in order to get the allergy-friendly cake for our wedding. They're a vegan bakery in Ascot Vale who also do some of their cakes in a gluten-free, sugar-free or fructose-free version.



A friend of mine linked this page about how they're doing a Studio Ghibli themed day, and the sight of that giant doughnut made my mouth water.


I haven't even seen My Neighbour Totoro, I just wanted a giant doughnut.

Thinking I'd be safe if I showed up at 8am, since most nerds are night owls, I decided to head in early, grab a few things, and relax with enough time to join dad for lunch on Father's day. Once again my lack of faith the passion of nerdy fandom failed me, and as I should have expected for a Melbournian thing, there was a line.


I overheard from some of the other people that they did something similar for Game of Thrones and it seems like they've learned some lessons. I really liked the way they handled it. There were only about 8 or so people in the shop at a time. When it was your turn, you could browse the cabinets of delicious-looking baked goods. I waited in line for about an hour, but I had a book to read, so it didn't bother me at all.




In order to make sure there would be enough for everyone, there was a limit on how much you could order. Once you decided, they'd take your order on a sheet of paper, and you waited in line for them to bring out your order.


Even though more time was spent waiting outside, I think the fact that it wasn't overly crowded inside made the whole experience really enjoyable. The shop was nicely decorated, the staff were in cosplay, and everyone was really nice, despite the long wait.

I ended up buying a Jiji Cat (choc-strawberry) cupcake, a Catbus (choc-hazelnut) cupcake, and a Totoro bronut (brioche doughnut).

I later found out that No-Face is one of Lex's favourite characters, and I was really tempted to buy a No-Face cupcake, too, since it sounded delicious (popcorn mudslide), but opted for the Jiji Cat instead.


The bronut was almost as big as it looked in the picture in the article (maybe the person has smaller hands than me).


Totoro did get a bit smushed in transit, but that didn't matter at all. Inside, it was deliciously soft, and although you could taste the margarine flavour, I still thought it was amazing.


And of course, what's more Melbournian than carrying fancy baked goods on a tram while it's pouring down with rain?


Hipster and proud.

No comments: