Wednesday 18 June 2008

GW, Day 1

So rather than DotA-ing my way towards failure in behavioural neuroscience this semester, I've decided to start playing Guild Wars instead. The plan was for me and Autofix to play for a couple of hours in the morning, and then do some study during the rest of the day (his last exam is today). Instead, we've spent more than 11 hours playing the game already (although about 3 of those hours were spent downloading the game and its maps - Guild Wars is one of those download-the-areas-as-you-go MMOs).

After some initial wariness (OMG, you can't f***ing jump in this game!), Auto and I really got into it (the last MMO we both played was WoW, unless you count RO - which is another MMO you can't jump in! T_T). I still have a few gripes with the game. For example, your party is pretty much forced to be in the same zone all the time. Not like WoW where you can go somewhere, and the rest of your party can join you later (which I think is a better system), if you "zone" into another area, the rest of your party is dragged along with you - whether they consent to it or not. A couple of times, I was looking at some items/reading my quest log when all of a sudden, BAM!, loading screen. The other weird thing is, if you are in a party, and you die, you can't do anything until either you are resurrected, the rest of your party dies, or someone in your party "zones" (well, you can look at the game from their point of view, but that's just a superficial thing, really).

Still, playing the game with Autofix, and later MrMan5.5, was really fun. Auto and I pulled some big groups of creeps a couple of times, and it was fun to take them on or try to run away. This game seems really mixed in its difficulty sometimes. Also, a lot of the quests are just "take this to the person on the other side of the world"-type quests, not "kill x monsters"-type quests. For me, that made the monsters in the game more of a nuisance. I know they drop stuff, and I get EXP for killing them, but because most of the time they weren't part of a quest or anything, killing them felt more grind-ish.

OK, less complaining about the game now, it's not WoW! Levelling has been pretty smooth, the quests give a decent amount of EXP, and Auto and I are levels 6 and 7, respectively (this game has a level cap of 20).

DD lent me a spare account of his, so I'm just downloading various world maps at the moment (I'm waiting for Auto to get out of his exam so we can go looking for the game together). I guess the good thing about the map download system is that it's forcing me to study while I wait. >_< We still haven't done any PvP yet, but Auto and I have just unlocked 4 player groups, so now we can play with MrMan5.5, too. Should be fun once we can do stuff with Goaty, Ratty and MrAwesomePants, too. =)

I think I'm starting to get hooked though, and that might not be a good thing. Luckily my last exam is on Friday...

No comments: