Sunday 15 June 2008

(S) Two Fodders Make A Writer?

I mentioned to Super Chris that I didn't like the idea of 9-5, and we started talking about career stuff. I said that I enjoyed aspects of software engineering, but that isn't where my strengths lie. For a while now, I've been thinking about how I really enjoy writing. A personality test (LOL, personality test *scoff*) suggested "technical writer" as a possible job for me. I think that I could probably write technical documents, but it'd bore me out of my mind. After mulling it over for a while, I had a crazy idea...

... I want to take part in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). Why is that so crazy? Well, for starters, it happens in November every year, which happens to be the exam period here at the wonderful University of Melbourne. It also involves writing at least 50 000 words in one month. Fifty thousand! That's as many as five ten-thousands, and that's a lot. I think it's about 1.7k words per day. I ended up writing about 1.1k words for my psych essay on Wednesday, but I was practically spent afterwards, and I don't think I could do that every single day for a month.

Still, I want to do this because I want to know if I'm cut out for this kind of thing. I know that
I could do this any time during the year, like after exams, for instance, but I think being part of NaNoWriMo will help me get over that initial hurdle of getting started. This is a story I started nearly a year ago, and although I had the plot and characters worked out in my head, I haven't touched it since I made that post. I just can't seem to start the first chapter.

The next problem is, what genre? That other story was going to be fantasy, and I figure since most of my years have been spent reading fantasy/sci-fi, I should stick with that, but lately I've found that my main interest is crime/mystery. I've also had a suggestion that I write some erotic fiction!

To try and get an idea of what I like to write (and am able to write - how on Earth can you get 50k words of erotic fiction?!), I think I'm going to start writing some short stories, and if you're feeling bored, it'd be nice if you could read over them and tell me what you think. =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Generous Spirit has 482k words! So you will write on that genre, for a bit of fun?

Anonymous said...

Oh btw the above link has adult content, you have been warned.

Fodder said...

Wow, that's really impressive. I think I'll read that after my psych exam to see how someone can manage something like that for more than 10k words. =/