Tuesday 7 October 2008

Fail

So AJ sent an email earlier today:

"
As far as I am concerned, the main reason that I have not talked to

the consumer UI group or looked at their code much, is because I see

little point in discussing improvements to non-working code, and their

code has never fit my definition of working."

After I linked to what I've done so far for 440, AJ said:

"... it is better than I was expecting, so that's something."

Clearly he didn't expect much of me. I'm always getting emails from him suggesting better ways to do things, but I can't help but feel so helpless. To be honest, at the moment, our project sucks. At the start of the year, everyone was saying we're the awesome team, but we have the least functional system at the moment, and I don't think we're going to get this done in time. I feel bad because I've let my team down - I'm even blogging right now instead of doing more work trying to get more working before client acceptance this Friday. I haven't finished our team's Panorama video.

Right now, I really don't think software engineering is for me. Sometimes I get that feeling of obsession when I'm coding, and don't think of anything else until I've finished, only to realise when I'm done that it has been 19 hours since I woke up and I haven't eaten anything in all of that time. I know it sounds stupid, but it sort of makes me feel like a real programmer. Unfortunately (or fortunately, as my body would say), that feeling doesn't happen very often.

It's a little disappointing that I'm pretty much in my last year of software eng (I think I have one CSSE subject left to do in my degree, so next year will be almost all arts subjects) and I'm wondering what I've done with my life. I've learnt C, Haskell, Prolog, Java, shell scripting, Python, Javascript, MySQL. I haven't really used any of those skills for anything, although Auto and I plan to write a dating sim in Python.

I still have an interest in forensics, but after my fail Summer vacation interview, I'm wondering if I'll ever get into it. Maybe I'll just become one of those database administrators, who spend the rest of their life wishing they had gotten into a more interesting field of computing.

Anyway, I was meant to post this earlier, so sorry for the late notice:

I&T drinking game on Tuesday, 2:15PM in Theatre D of Old Arts. BYO drinks, please try and be conspicuous. The idea is, every time Charles laughs at the lecturer, we all take a drink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you got an interview. My application didn't even make it that far.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it to you (I definitely told Shanika that time she bitched at me for 40 minutes about not doing enough work), but 440 is pushing me away from software engineering too. This year has pretty much made me decide that (a) I don't want to be a software engineer and (b) I'm definitely doing honours in computer science, whether I combine it with maths or not. It's odd, I'd always planned to do honours in maths, but now I'm not sure I want to; I'm pretty certain I want to do honours in language technology though, after HLT and Data on the Web.