Wednesday 1 October 2008

Weekend Wrap-Up

So after a few weeks of fervent anime watching, Manifest has come and gone. Manifest has changed for me. It used to be about spending an entire weekend watching various anime, but now it seems to be able seeing people, and buying stuff. I guess there isn't really any other time that's good for seeing a whole bunch of anime nerds in one place, and being able to buy lots of merchandise, but for someone who didn't think ahead and save money for Manifest, there wasn't much to do. =/ Though I got to see Super Chris and his friend Carla (?), but I missed seeing Mpanda. T___T

I wanted to catch up on some anime because I think AMVs are better if you've seen the anime that is featured in it, because not only do you get to see the awesome video editing skills of the makers, but each of the images conjures up a memory of that anime. Luckily I had seen the anime for the AMV Iron Chef comp (well, having seen a few eps counts, right?) so that was pretty good, but I think I might have enjoyed some of the other videos if I'd seen the anime that was featured in them. Especially the one that won the drama category, as everyone seemed to think it was great, but I thought it was so-so. I didn't get to finish Brave Story, before going to see the movie, but I think I might play through the game anyway. *cough* Pirate *cough*

I think my other motivation for suddenly watching a lot of anime was that I knew I'd be meeting MrMan5.5's ManiFriends™. I didn't really want to embarrass him by saying something really noob, and I wanted to be able to contribute something to the conversation other than, "I haven't seen that yet." Turns out most of them cosplayed characters from Gintama which I haven't seen yet, and so the only one I recognised was his friend Chi who cosplayed Rikku from Final Fantasy X, and she looked pretty good. :) I didn't end up talking to his friends much, and was really anti-social, standing to the side with Cheka while MrMan5.5 talked with them. I fail.

Once again, there was an attack from "Free hugs" people. One of them was a friend, Will, who was dressed in some cardboard boxes, so I think he was just being silly, but there was an emo looking person with a "Free hugs" sign, which made me die a little inside. I don't even like hugs all that much, but for me, hugs are meant to be a sign of affection from one person to another. You don't generally greet someone with a hug unless you feel close to them (although some people don't seem to feel the same way). Getting a random hug from someone isn't going to make me feel better, and if they're just doing it to make themselves feel better, then why can't they find some other way that doesn't involve them offering to  wrap their smelly bodies around mine?

I'm not sure that I want to go to Manifest next year, but on the plus-side, at least I didn't bump into any of the people I didn't want to see there!

No comments: