Friday 31 October 2008

Nearing the Finish Line

440 artefact due today, but I want to play TF2. T_T Instead, I'm going to procrastinate and write a blog post. Tomorrow is the deadline for the last thing we have to hand in for 440, and it's both exciting and sad. Exciting because it means it's over. No more late nights frantically trying to locate where the stupid error is in the many javascript files. 440 was tiring, but overall, I think it was a good experience (despite being put off SE).

Speaking of things that are ending, I've been thinking about what happens when a blog dies. To me, a blog doesn't seem like something that can go on until the author dies. I'm sure there are people who have blogged regularly for a very long time, but eventually, doesn't it just run out of steam - just like most popular TV shows? Reading this blog post by collagecallgirl made me think about when a blog should just say, "Hey, thanks for the loyal readership, but this really isn't going anywhere." In particular, I'm thinking of a couple of blogs. One is a blog I read about FFXI, and it's still funny, but it just seems so repetitive - all he does is rant on about how stupid some FFXI players are. Don't even get him started on WoW players.

Not that I'm going to stop writing. In fact, I'm going to do more of it - NaNoWriMo is coming up! I have an essay to write and two exams to study for, but I'm still planning to take part. At first I was thinking maybe I could just continue this story that I started writing last year (I figured since I only had a prelude, it wasn't really much of the story, so it wouldn't be as bad), but on the way to the toilet I thought of a rough story idea that I'll probably end up writing because I'm feeling a little uncreative at the moment, but it's something I can think about while writing test cases (hopefully). I think I'm going to be a little unconventional in my writing, in that I'm going to do it as a post as I go thing. One of the tips is:

2) Do not edit as you go. Editing is for December. Think of November as
an experiment in pure output. Even if it's hard at first, leave ugly
prose and poorly written passages on the page to be cleaned up later.
Your inner editor will be very grumpy about this, but your inner editor
is a nitpicky jerk who foolishly believes that it is possible to write
a brilliant first draft if you write it slowly enough. It isn't. Every
book you've ever loved started out as a beautifully flawed first draft.
In November, embrace imperfection and see where it takes you.


So hopefully that'll give me the courage to post my crap, half-thought out chapters, plus, it also means everyone else can see that I really am sticking to my word count, yay!

No comments: