Monday 27 October 2008

Fodder By Name, Fodder By Trade

So after months of saying I'd do it, I finally did it, and I should have done it earlier - I bought Team Fortress 2. Well, Orange Box anyway (argh, orange is such a terrible colour. T_T). I should have bought it when the Australian dollar was higher, but oh well, it would probably have lead to me being *cough* less productive *cough*. Though come to think of it, buying it in the last week of semester probably isn't that bright either. =/ Oddly enough, the reason I decided to buy it now was because of a blog post (which I'm not going to link right now, as I'm not sure the author wants their blog to be advertised, but I'll ask him about it), but the blog post was saying how the gaming industry had turned into a grindfest World of Warcraft style. Valve has introduced (I'm not sure when) a reward system for TF2 where you can unlock things by getting achievements, but some of those achievements are along the lines of "Kill x people in this particular way", where x is usually 10 or more, so it becomes like a level grind.

I finally decided to buy the game online, rather than from EB, mostly due to this discussion:

[17:55] <+|Lurking> i was going to buy tf2 today
[17:55] <+|Lurking> but now eb is closed :(
[17:55] <+|Lurking> wasted too much time playing werewolf >_<
[17:55] <+Atticus> just get it on steam
[17:55] <+|Lurking> but i want a box :(
[17:55] <+jo0fish> LMAO
[17:55] <+jo0fish> u can't have one
[17:55] <+|Lurking> no T__________T
[17:55] <+|Lurking> give me my box =(
[17:55] <+Atticus> :<
[17:56] <+|Lurking> hopefully the box isn't orange
[17:56] <+Atticus> don't get your hopes up
[17:56] <+|Lurking> only the orange box is orange, right?
[17:57] <+Atticus> teamfortress 2
[17:57] <+Atticus> likes its orange
[17:57] <+Atticus> and similar colors
[17:57] <+|Lurking> T________T
[18:02] <+|Lurking> it's $99 vs $50
[18:03] <+Atticus> is a box really worth that much
[18:03] <+|Lurking> plus, the box is orange
[18:03] <+Atticus> lol
[18:03] <+|Lurking> well, not if it's orange
[18:03] <+Atticus> why don't you buy it on steam
[18:03] <+Atticus> and buy the box of your choice, separately
[18:03] <+Atticus> save money and ensure you get a great box

Although there was this:

[19:51] <@Ratty> Anna was going to buy TF2? :O
[19:54] <+|Lurking> why is that surprising?
[19:54] <@Ratty> Not surprising, awesome! :P
[19:54] <@Ratty> Didn't think you actually liked it :P
[19:54] <+senseiphwoar> because she is bad at fps :(

Anyway, somehow Mpanda found out I had TF2, so after I got home, the first thing I did was play a few games with him - and we were soon joined by Autofix, Rangers and Sparks. Suddenly it was 4AM, and I have no idea where the time went. Despite dying a lot (I think it was something like a 1:4 ratio of kills/assists to deaths), and definitely earning the name Fodder (charging in as a pyro is awesome!), I had so much fun.

Then I realised I had completely forgotten to do something at 2AM that I should have done. Not only that, but I didn't start my 440 review even though I had planned to do it Sunday night. Starting to look like a bit of an addiction to me, but hopefully it's just the novelty of having a new game to play. I also missed saying goodnight to MrMan5.5, which makes me think of something Charlotte said in her blog post - who needs guys when you have games? *cough, cough* Not that I would ditch MrMan5.5 for TF2, or any game, but hopefully I don't start to neglect him because I want to play. :S

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Not that I would ditch MrMan5.5 for TF2, or any game, but hopefully I don't start to neglect him because I want to play."

*cough* Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there an incident involving WoW and a mutual friend of ours whose name begins with R that was similar to this?

TF2: Probably (despite my misgivings) the best game I've played.

Jedi_Amara said...

lol @ olek

:O Charlotte has a blog?