Monday 28 August 2017

Dr Cox or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Unfriend with Aplomb


A former Valve employee posted a Half Life 3 fanfic recently, and it seems to have caused a lot of backlash against Valve's current franchise baby, Dota 2, the implication being that Valve's focus has shifted and Dota is to blame for why there isn't going to be a Half Life 3. The fact that Valve announced they'd be making a card game based on Dota 2 probably didn't help things. The response seems to be to post a heap of negative reviews for the game.

I don't know how much of an impact the negative reviews will have on the game, everyone I know who plays it only plays it because a friend of their recommended it to them. And the kind of people who are likely to sink cash into the game are people who already enjoy it. I guess it adds just another thing to stop new people from choosing the game.

Some of the reviews are funny.


"Think of how many fans of Half Life died during this time... They talked about how cool it would be to see the continuation of the game. But alas. They will never see it."


I thought this one was clever.


This one pretty much sums up how I feel about Dota.


Person claims to have spent 3 hours in a tutorial but has 2 hours on record. To have finished the tutorial and finished an entire game (approx 40 mins) in 2 hours is quite impressive.


"When Artifact releases you better prepare for unforseen consequences." What are you going to do, leave another negative review? Oh no.

Anyway, reviews aside, I noticed that one of my "friends" jumped on the bandwagon. I put it in quotation marks because we met once, at a party hosted by a mutual friend, added each other on Facebook and then Steam, and have succeeded in never playing a game together since. He messages me every now and again to get me to look at a screenshot from whatever game he happens to be playing at the time, but that's the extent of our friendship. I've been meaning to remove him for a while, and I haven't. I can't really explain why. Maybe I felt bad for him? Maybe I didn't want to put our mutual friend into an awkward situation?

It really bothered me to see that today because often I would have no interest in his comments or screenshots, but I always listened to him patiently, and made some sort of conversation about his screenshots. I'd let him explain skill build ideas to me, and even look up the mechanics of the game to understand what he was talking about. I haven't once said anything against his interests, so to see him to so against one of mine really pissed me off.

Well, today, after nearly 8 years of "friendship", I've finally removed him. It's probably been a year since we last messaged each other anyway. I still feel bad for doing it, but I also feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders, as I felt guilty whenever I saw his name pop-up.

No comments: