Tuesday 29 August 2017

Non-Dairy Lamington Ice-Cream


I recently discovered that MrFodder really likes lamingtons, so that inspired this month's ice-cream flavour. I had never had lamingtons before, and bought some to take to a board games night, but there was so much food that I forgot to grab them. MrFodder happily polished them off, but at least I got to try one to see what I was aiming for.

The only recipe I could find that wasn't an ice-cream bar / sandwich and that had sponge cake in it was this one from Nicko's Kitchen, which looked delicious, but was made with cream and sweetened condensed milk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4re2QcyGgY). It doesn't require an ice-cream machine if you want to try it for yourself. One of the comments asks if you can make it without the coconut and lamington (I assume they meant sponge cake). If you remove the coconut and sponge cake from a lamington, what do you have left?!

I figured I'd steal his idea and make it non-dairy. You can also make it vegan by making a vegan sponge cake, but I just chose a non-dairy one as I struggle enough making regular sponge cakes.

Ingredients
400 ml coconut cream
400 ml soy milk
175g raw sugar
50g dextrose
5g black soybean powder (I tried this to try and soften the mix, but it's optional, and didn't seem to work)
45g 99% cocoa chocolate

1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 cup sponge cake, roughly broken into 1cm cubes

(I used this recipe: https://www.howtocookthat.net/public_html/sponge-cake-recipe/, except I only needed half of it - using 4 eggs instead of 7, and everything else was halved). I used the leftover sponge cake to make actual lamingtons, as MrFodder ate the one I was planning to use for today's photo.

Method
1. Heat the coconut cream, soy milk, raw sugar, dextrose, chocolate and soybean powder (if using) in a saucepan over medium low heat, whisking to dissolve everything. Heat until it just comes to a boil, then remove from heat and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. It should be cold before you churn it.

2. Make according to your ice-cream maker's instructions, adding in the shredded coconut and sponge cake halfway through.

3. Quickly place into a container and freeze until hardened.

It was a bit hard when I took it out of the freezer, but leaving it out for a few minutes was enough to soften it for scooping.

I used shredded coconut instead of desiccated so that you could taste the texture in the ice-cream, as I was worried the desiccated coconut would be too small. It really does taste like lamington, and it's one of the cases where the coconut milk flavour adds to the taste!

I wanted to make a strawberry mix to swirl in, but the strawberries I bought were mouldy. T_T Plus, jam in lamingtons seems to be a controversial topic.

No comments: