Tuesday 22 August 2017

New Video Editor in Town


I've explained the 365 photo challenge to a few people, and they've asked for a link to my blog. I've been a bit reluctant to tell them, mostly because they're co-workers, and as I've learned from playing Orwell, isolated comments can take on a completely different meaning when taken out of context. There are a a few blog posts that may make them see me differently, and I don't know if they're the kind of people who would ask me for clarification, or just judge me silently.

Instead, I told them that I would make a video out of all the photos at the end of the year (assuming I make it all the way to 365 (of which there are 130 days to go: here's the countdown I've been using: https://www.timeanddate.com/counters/newyear.html. On a side-note, this might be the longest every day blog streak I've had in a long time. Maybe even ever!). My subscription for the Adobe Creative Suite has lapsed, as I can't justify spending that kind of money when I rarely do video editing or use Photoshop. So I've been looking for a replacement for my former editor-of-choice: Adobe Premiere Pro (plus Audition and After Effects).

Da Vinci Resolve 14 is currently in beta, so it's free to use at the moment. Someone at work also suggested using Lightworks which has an option for a one-off payment, rather than a subscription.

So far, Resolve looks and feels a lot like Premiere Pro - though it probably helped that when I installed it, it asked me which editor I used previously, and I selected Premiere Pro. I like how slick the bin system is - I really hated how in Premiere Pro, it looked like the folder view in Windows, rather than the explorer view like it is on the left in Resolve. Plus, the images in my timeline have thumbnails displayed, so it makes it a lot easier to see at a glance which image is being used.

I've yet to work out how to sync my images with the beat of the music, and it might have to be something done manually for now. Will do a bit more searching when I have more time for editing.

Playback is nice and smooth, though I barely have anything in my video at the moment, and none of it is video footage, so it's really hard to compare to how Premiere Pro performed when I was editing 4k video.

So far, it looks promising! My sister said that it crashed a lot for her, but I imagine that I have a beefier PC, so it might not struggle as much. We'll see how it goes at the end of the year when I have all my photos.

No comments: