Wednesday 23 August 2017

Hot 'n' Steamy



I had lunch with Jal, D and one of D's friends (not OCD) and he apologised for being a huge nerd. Both Jal and I started laughing, pointing out that we're both developers. D added that I'm the "4,000 hours of Dota girl". His friend, who I'll call Marvin, said that he had played 16,000 hours in 2 years.

I was impressed until Jal did the maths. There's 17,520 hours in 2 years, which means he would have to be playing nearly 22 hours, every day, for two years. Even if he meant a bit more than two years, that's a pretty crazy amount of played time. I asked him what his rating was (not because I'm a Rating Queen, but because if you've put in a crazy amount of time like that, surely your rating is going to be crazily high), and he said it was 6000, but dropped down to 3000 as he wasn't playing as much anymore.

Either way, he was a really cool guy to hang out with. It turns out that we have a heap in common: we were both in the chess club, we both like gaming, we both like the same TV shows and books. He also really opened up, even though it was my first time meeting him, and spoke about some really personal stuff. Most importantly: he didn't think I was weird at all.

I asked D for his Steam ID, as I was keen to play with him. My first action was to check his played time, to see if it really was legit, and unfortunately, it wasn't. However, I looked through his library and he owns a lot of the games that I own, which immediately raised the level of respect I had for him. Still, What he told me about his Dota experience and reality didn't really match, and so I've yet to add him. Not because I look down on him for having less hours played than me or anything like that, just because I don't understand why he lied.

Anyway, some of the uni people have been talking about dating apps, and I did have that idea of a dating app that matches you based on interests, but I couldn't work out a good way of making it different to something like OKCupid, other than my feature of suggesting conversation topics, which a lot of people said was creepy / unnatural. Instead, I was thinking about whether you could have a Steam-based dating app. You get matched with people who have similar libraries, and rather than going on a traditional date, you could game together. That way there's no pressure to spend money on a first date, there's no concerns about going out and meeting someone dangerous, and all the effort of organising an activity to do together isn't needed.

Of course, Dota players would just have to be matched with Dota players:

https://twitter.com/steam_spy/status/729732607013998593?lang=en


I remember someone in my WoW guild telling me that one of the best ways to get to know someone is to see what they're like when they're angry. Playing Dota with a date would be a great way to sort out who you want to stay with. ^_^

I don't know what the demographics for Steam users are, but one of the problems that seems to plague dating apps is the disproportionate number of males to females, and I feel like this dating app would suffer from that. And yes, I'm still one of those naïve people who believes that some people would use this kind of app to find friends, so maybe that could be an alternate use for it.

Even if you only played single-player games, it could still work, as you could both play through the game together, or discuss the game afterwards - like a book club (not taking credit for the idea, someone else from uni came up with the idea).

No comments: