Monday 8 November 2010

Go Get 'Em Tiger

Maybe I should have done this instead of NaNo (at 8.8k words right now), but I've decided I'm going to try to do NaBloPoMo as well, doing a few posts to catch up for the days I've missed. I looked at some of the prompts and they seem pretty boring, so feel free to leave a prompt in the comments and I'll try to write about that.

I've picked up WoW again, and one of my motivating factors for playing is that I want to beat Dante's brother (me). Achievements are something you get in WoW for performing certain tasks, some of which are something you'd have to go quite out of your way to do. There's no real reward other than bragging rights (although there's a feat of stength called "Over Nine Thousand" that would be nice to get...) so it really is a pointless grind. So why am I doing it? I think the biggest motivating factor for me, is because he said that I couldn't. Which in itself isn't the entire story. I just feel like he's me, but better in every way, and this is just one of the ways I would like to be better than him - and where I have an advantage, as I'm currently unemployed and he works full time, plus he is planning his wedding stuff.

There are other things though, that I wish I felt motivated to do. Leigh is always talking to me about how awesome his department at work is, and he really wants me to try to get in as well, but I'm not really sure that's what I want to do. I already feel like a bit of a sell out for going corporate. The reason I gave at my interview for wanting the job was because I said it would be able to satisfy my interest in user interface design as well as security, but if I go with Leigh, I think I'd end up doing neither - but from the sounds of things, I'd be making the big bucks.

When talking with Euan from ANZ, he said that he makes the big bucks now, but in his actual position, he never gets around do doing what he called "the geeky stuff", but he makes an effort to spend a lot of time with the geeks in his department, seeing what they're up to, so he gets his fill. So it's not like if I followed Leigh, I'd never get to touch a computer ever again.

Back to the topic of motivation, I think I respond better to personal challenges, but it helps when I have an arrogant me telling me that I can't do it. :)

No comments: