Tuesday 30 November 2010

Fodder and the City

After I started watching Sex and the City, I always wondered if I wasn't somewhat like Carrie, in the sense that after I go out and do something with my friends, I will usually come home and blog about it in order to digest my day. I'm not quite so fancy as to have a weekly column in a newspaper, but whenever I do go out with friends, I usually have something new to think about when I get home.

The problem is, Carrie's friends never complain when she writes about them, even though they do read. And Carrie's circle is enclosed enough that she can write about her friends and pretty much nobody outside that circle of friends would have any idea who she is writing about. However, when I write, though I do try to keep people's identities a secret when I feel it's appropriate, there is only so much I can say about a situation before it becomes pretty obvious who I'm talking about if you happen to know the person.

For instance, I was going to write about P and N today. How I found out that P is going overseas, and when she gets back, N is going overseas, so I'm not entirely sure why, but they decided they were going to break up. Now not everyone who knows P and N would work out who they are, but pretty much anyone who has spent more than 5 minutes with either of them in the past week would probably know who I'm talking about. I wanted to do a big dissection on their relationship, but I wonder if somehow they stumble upon my blog, would they be pissed off that I am writing what I'm about to write?

So when I first heard that they were going to break up because they were going to be on holidays away from each other for a while, my first impression was they were doing it because they wanted to try out the exotic wares while away. There's that whole postcode rule thing as mentioned in Role Models (it's not cheating if you are doing it in a different post code), and while I don't believe in it, it's what some people seem to live by.

I think that's a pretty strange reason to break up. If you pretty much know that person is going to do the dirty while they're away, and you're OK with it, why bother breaking up? Just so they can say that they haven't cheated? But if they were planning to get back together again after they both returned, then does that mean they were only separated in name, but not in spirit? If that's the case, they might as well just stay together and be in an open relationship.

Now that I think about what she said, I got the impression from P that she wasn't entirely sure that they were going to get back together after the holidays were over. She never said that they were having problems, and from what I've seen of the two of them together, it doesn't seem like they are having problems, so the break-up seems so sudden to me.

I don't really want to ask either of them what's going on, because it's really none of my business, but I hope it works out well for both of them.

No comments: